Prerequisite: getline(string) in C++
In C++, stream classes support line-oriented functions, getline() and write() to perform input and output functions respectively. getline() function reads whole line of text that ends with new line or until the maximum limit is reached. getline() is the member function of istream class and has the syntax:
// (buffer, stream_size, delimiter) istream& getline(char*, int size, char='\n') // The delimiter character is considered as '\n' istream& getline(char*, int size)
The function does the following operations:
1. Extracts character up to the delimiter.
2. Stores the characters in the buffer.
3. Maximum number of characters extracted is size – 1.
Note that the terminator(or delimiter) character can be any character (like ‘ ‘, ‘, ‘ or any special character, etc.). The terminator character is read but not saved into a buffer, instead it is replaced by the null character.
Your Name is:: Aditya Rakhecha
In the above program, the statement cin.getline(str, 20) reads a string until it encounters the new line character or maximum number of characters (here 20). Try the function with different limits and see the output.
Rated as one of the most sought after skills in the industry, own the basics of coding with our C++ STL Course and master the very concepts by intense problem-solving.
- How to use getline() in C++ when there are blank lines in input?
- getline (string) in C++
- std::basic_istream::getline in C++ with Examples
- Check input character is alphabet, digit or special character
- Convert character array to string in C++
- Change/add only one character and print '*' exactly 20 times
- Data type of character constants in C and C++
- Type difference of character literals in C and C++
- Character arithmetic in C and C++
- Character Classification in C++ : cctype
- Character replacement after removing duplicates from a string
- Program to count occurrence of a given character in a string
- Print a character n times without using loop, recursion or goto in C++
- How to convert a single character to string in C++?
- Frequency of each character in a String using unordered_map in C++
- Unusual behaviour with character pointers
- What’s difference between “array” and “&array” for “int array” ?
- array::front() and array::back() in C++ STL
- array::fill() and array::swap() in C++ STL
- array::begin() and array::end() in C++ STL
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.