Firstly, the pandas dataframe stores data in the form of a table. In some situations we need to retrieve data from dataframe according to some conditions. Such as if we want to get top N records of each group of the dataframe. Here we will use Groupby() function of pandas to group the columns. So we can do it as follows:
Firstly, we created a pandas dataframe:
Now, we will get topmost N values of each group of the ‘Variables’ column. Here reset_index() is used to provide a new index according to the grouping of data. And head() is used to get topmost N values from the top.
Example 1: Suppose the value of N=2
Example 2: Now, suppose the value of N=4
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Get last n records of a Pandas DataFrame
- Get first n records of a Pandas DataFrame
- Python | Group and count similar records
- Python - Group records by Kth column in List
- Python - Group Records on Similar index elements
- Python | Pandas DataFrame.fillna() to replace Null values in dataframe
- Pandas Dataframe.to_numpy() - Convert dataframe to Numpy array
- Convert given Pandas series into a dataframe with its index as another column on the dataframe
- How to Convert Wide Dataframe to Tidy Dataframe with Pandas stack()?
- How to List values for each Pandas group?
- Plot the Size of each Group in a Groupby object in Pandas
- Python | Get Top N elements from Records
- Apply a function to each row or column in Dataframe using pandas.apply()
- How to get column names in Pandas dataframe
- Python | Pandas dataframe.get()
- How to get rows/index names in Pandas dataframe
- Get unique values from a column in Pandas DataFrame
- Get n-smallest values from a particular column in Pandas DataFrame
- Get n-largest values from a particular column in Pandas DataFrame
- Get all rows in a Pandas DataFrame containing given substring
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.