A timestamp is a sequence of characters or encoded information used to find when a particular event occurred, generally giving the date and time of the day, accurate to a small fraction of a second. In this article, we will learn how to Get current timestamp in Python.
There are different ways to get current timestamp in Python, We can use functions from modules time, datetime and calendar.
1. Using module time :
The time module provides various time-related functions. The function time, return the time in seconds since the epoch as a floating point number. epoch is defined as the point where the time starts and is platform dependent.
Syntax: time.time() Parameters: NA Return: floating point number expressed in seconds.
2. Using module datetime :
The datetime module provides classes for manipulating dates and times.
While date and time arithmetic is supported, the target of the implementation is on efficient attribute extraction for output formatting and manipulation. The function datetime.datetime.now which return number of seconds since the epoch.
Syntax: datetime.now() Parameters: tz (time zone) which is optional. Return: the current local date and time.
current time:- 2020-07-15 14:30:26.159446 timestamp:- 1594823426.159446
3. Using module calendar :
We can also get timestamp by combining multiple functions from multiple modules. In this we we’ll use function calendar.timegm to convert tuple representing current time.
Syntax: calendar.timegm(tuple) Parameters: takes a time tuple such as returned by the gmtime() function in the time module. Return: the corresponding Unix timestamp value.
gmt:- time.struct_time(tm_year=2020, tm_mon=7, tm_mday=15, tm_hour=19, tm_min=21, tm_sec=6, tm_wday=2, tm_yday=197, tm_isdst=0)
- Python | Pandas Timestamp.timestamp
- Getting the current date and time with timestamp in local and other timezones in Golang
- Get UTC timestamp in Python
- Get Minutes from timestamp in Pandas-Python
- Get Seconds from timestamp in Python-Pandas
- Get parent of current directory using Python
- Get current date using Python
- Get current time in milliseconds using Python
- Get Current Date and Time using Python
- Get Current Time in different Timezone using Python
- Get current Gold price using Python
- Python - Get Today's Current Day using Speech Recognition
- Get the Hour from timestamp in Pandas
- How to get the size of screen, current web page and browser window using jQuery?
- Get the current URL using jQuery?
- How to get the path of current script using Node.js ?
- Get directory of current Python script
- Python program to get Current Time
- How to get current function name in PHP?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.