Unlike C++ and Java, C doesn’t support generics. How to create a linked list in C that can be used for any data type? In C, we can use void pointer and function pointer to implement the same functionality. The great thing about void pointer is it can be used to point to any data type. Also, size of all types of pointers is always is same, so we can always allocate a linked list node. Function pointer is needed process actual content stored at address pointed by void pointer.
Following is a sample C code to demonstrate working of generic linked list.
Created integer linked list is 10 20 30 40 50 Created float linked list is 10.100000 20.200001 30.299999 40.400002 50.500000
This article is contributed by Himanshu Gupta. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Generic Implementation of QuickSort Algorithm in C
- XOR Linked List - A Memory Efficient Doubly Linked List | Set 1
- XOR Linked List – A Memory Efficient Doubly Linked List | Set 2
- Merge a linked list into another linked list at alternate positions
- Check if a linked list is Circular Linked List
- Convert singly linked list into circular linked list
- Difference between Singly linked list and Doubly linked list
- Convert Singly Linked List to XOR Linked List
- Create new linked list from two given linked list with greater element at each node
- Construct a Maximum Sum Linked List out of two Sorted Linked Lists having some Common nodes
- Create a linked list from two linked lists by choosing max element at each position
- Construct a Doubly linked linked list from 2D Matrix
- Sublist Search (Search a linked list in another list)
- Length of longest palindrome list in a linked list using O(1) extra space
- Partitioning a linked list around a given value and If we don't care about making the elements of the list "stable"
- Rotate the sub-list of a linked list from position M to N to the right by K places
- Find the middle of a given linked list in C and Java
- Given only a pointer/reference to a node to be deleted in a singly linked list, how do you delete it?
- Write a function to delete a Linked List
- Write a function that counts the number of times a given int occurs in a Linked List