Given a range [L, R] where L ≤ R, the task is to generate a random permutation of the sequence [L, L + 1, L + 2, …, R].
Input: L = 5, R = 15
Output: 11 9 6 5 8 7 10 12 13 15 14
Input: L = 10, R = 20
Output: 16 14 11 10 13 12 15 17 18 20 19
Approach: We will use Divide and Conquer algorithm for our solution. We will create a global vector that will store random numbers generated by our recursive function generate_random_permutation().
We will pass two arguments L (start) and R (end) to our recursive function. Inside the function it will call another function give_random_number that will return a number between X and Y. Lets call it N. We will store this random number in our vector and then we will call generate_random_permutation() function recursively for range [L, N – 1] and then for range [N + 1, R].
If L becomes greater than R then we will return from the function without performing any task, as this is our base condition.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
11 9 6 5 8 7 10 12 13 15 14
Time Complexity: O(n)
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Generate a random permutation of 1 to N
- Dynamic Programming vs Divide-and-Conquer
- Divide and Conquer Algorithm | Introduction
- Maximum Sum SubArray using Divide and Conquer | Set 2
- Sum of maximum of all subarrays | Divide and Conquer
- The Skyline Problem using Divide and Conquer algorithm
- Tiling Problem using Divide and Conquer algorithm
- Frequency of an integer in the given array using Divide and Conquer
- Maximum Subarray Sum using Divide and Conquer algorithm
- Divide and Conquer | Set 5 (Strassen's Matrix Multiplication)
- Convex Hull using Divide and Conquer Algorithm
- Closest Pair of Points using Divide and Conquer algorithm
- Merge K sorted arrays | Set 3 ( Using Divide and Conquer Approach )
- Longest Common Prefix using Divide and Conquer Algorithm
- Advanced master theorem for divide and conquer recurrences
- Merge K sorted arrays of different sizes | ( Divide and Conquer Approach )
- C++ program to generate random number
- Program to generate random alphabets
- Generate all permutation of a set in Python
- Search in a Row-wise and Column-wise Sorted 2D Array using Divide and Conquer algorithm
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.