Gainsight Interview Experience for Associate Software Engineer 2021
It was a pool campus drive conducted by Gainsight. In which all the colleges affiliated with AKTU University were invited to participate. There was a total of 1240 students shortlisted for the Online Assessment Round.
Round 1(Online Assessment): It was a web-proctored round conducted on HackerEarth.
Hey geek! It's time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsoft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!
- There were 16 MCQs and 4 coding questions.
- The MCQs were based on Data Structures and Algorithms, DBMS, and O.S. Out of the 4 coding questions, the difficulty level was – 1 hard, 1 medium and 2 easy. I was able to solve 1 medium, 2 easy questions completely and the hard one partially.
Round 2(Technical Interview 1): Out of 1240 students only 65 were shortlisted for the interview rounds. In this round, the interviewer asked my introduction and the following things:
- The interviewer started with the easy question, I guess for warm-up: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/counting-frequencies-of-array-elements/. I was easily able to solve this using hashing.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/check-for-balanced-parentheses-in-an-expression/. I was easily able to solve this using stack.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/sort-an-array-of-0s-1s-and-2s/. I solved this using 2-pointers.
- Interviewer asked me some questions on OS, OOPs, and General programming.
- Deadlock (Definition, conditions, handling, etc.)
- Abstraction and Encapsulation.
- Difference between iteration and recursion, etc.
- There were few more questions, I am not able to recall them now.
This Interview went for 1 hour.
Round 3(Technical Interview 2): 34 students were selected for this round. In this round, the interviewer asked my introduction and the following things:-
- Brief discussion on one of my projects.
- https://leetcode.com/problems/powx-n/. I started with brute force and was then able to optimize it with recursion.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-element-appears-array-every-element-appears-twice/. I started with hashing and was then able to optimize it with bit manipulation.
- https://leetcode.com/problems/linked-list-cycle/. I started with hashing and then optimized it using Floyd’s Cycle-Finding Algorithm.
- Interviewer extended the (4) question and asked me to find the node where the cycle begins.
- https://leetcode.com/problems/linked-list-cycle-ii/. I was able to solve this.
- then Interviewer asked me to mathematically prove my solution. I was somehow able to explain it but was not able to prove that mathematically.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/write-a-function-to-get-the-intersection-point-of-two-linked-lists/. Explained my approach to the Interviewer, he was satisfied and did not ask me to write the code.
- He asked some questions on OS.
- Paging, Segmentation, Thrashing, etc.
- Then he asked for 2 puzzle problems.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/puzzle-find-last-ball-remain-entire-process/ . Did not understand the problem correctly and gave the wrong answer.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/puzzle-19-poison-and-rat/ . I took some time and solved it.
This interview went for around 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Round 4(Managerial / Hiring Manager Round): 30 students were shortlisted for this round. This round was a mix of technical and managerial questions. Usually, these rounds were taken by a senior person of the company i.e. Director or V.P of Engineering.
The following questions were asked by the interviewer:
- My Introduction.
- My Projects. (Technologies used, Challenges faced, Applications, etc.)
- About my training and internships.
- Some general questions like- why you want to join our company, how you can contribute, your expectations and goals, etc.
- Then he asked if I have any questions:- I asked about culture and what kind of projects are there in the company, he answered very politely.
This interview went for 30 minutes.
Result: The result came after 2 days of the H.M round. 16 students were selected in total,14 students were selected for the SDE role and 2 students were selected for the SDET role. I was selected for the SDE role.