Gainsight Interview Experience for Associate Software Engineer 2021
It was a pool campus drive conducted by Gainsight. In which all the colleges affiliated with AKTU University were invited to participate. There was a total of 1240 students shortlisted for the Online Assessment Round.
Round 1(Online Assessment): It was a web-proctored round conducted on HackerEarth.
- There were 16 MCQs and 4 coding questions.
- The MCQs were based on Data Structures and Algorithms, DBMS, and O.S. Out of the 4 coding questions, the difficulty level was – 1 hard, 1 medium and 2 easy. I was able to solve 1 medium, 2 easy questions completely and the hard one partially.
Round 2(Technical Interview 1): Out of 1240 students only 65 were shortlisted for the interview rounds. In this round, the interviewer asked my introduction and the following things:
- The interviewer started with the easy question, I guess for warm-up: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/counting-frequencies-of-array-elements/. I was easily able to solve this using hashing.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/check-for-balanced-parentheses-in-an-expression/. I was easily able to solve this using stack.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/sort-an-array-of-0s-1s-and-2s/. I solved this using 2-pointers.
- Interviewer asked me some questions on OS, OOPs, and General programming.
- Deadlock (Definition, conditions, handling, etc.)
- Abstraction and Encapsulation.
- Difference between iteration and recursion, etc.
- There were few more questions, I am not able to recall them now.
This Interview went for 1 hour.
Round 3(Technical Interview 2): 34 students were selected for this round. In this round, the interviewer asked my introduction and the following things:-
- Brief discussion on one of my projects.
- https://leetcode.com/problems/powx-n/. I started with brute force and was then able to optimize it with recursion.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-element-appears-array-every-element-appears-twice/. I started with hashing and was then able to optimize it with bit manipulation.
- https://leetcode.com/problems/linked-list-cycle/. I started with hashing and then optimized it using Floyd’s Cycle-Finding Algorithm.
- Interviewer extended the (4) question and asked me to find the node where the cycle begins.
- https://leetcode.com/problems/linked-list-cycle-ii/. I was able to solve this.
- then Interviewer asked me to mathematically prove my solution. I was somehow able to explain it but was not able to prove that mathematically.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/write-a-function-to-get-the-intersection-point-of-two-linked-lists/. Explained my approach to the Interviewer, he was satisfied and did not ask me to write the code.
- He asked some questions on OS.
- Paging, Segmentation, Thrashing, etc.
- Then he asked for 2 puzzle problems.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/puzzle-find-last-ball-remain-entire-process/ . Did not understand the problem correctly and gave the wrong answer.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/puzzle-19-poison-and-rat/ . I took some time and solved it.
This interview went for around 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Round 4(Managerial / Hiring Manager Round): 30 students were shortlisted for this round. This round was a mix of technical and managerial questions. Usually, these rounds were taken by a senior person of the company i.e. Director or V.P of Engineering.
The following questions were asked by the interviewer:
- My Introduction.
- My Projects. (Technologies used, Challenges faced, Applications, etc.)
- About my training and internships.
- Some general questions like- why you want to join our company, how you can contribute, your expectations and goals, etc.
- Then he asked if I have any questions:- I asked about culture and what kind of projects are there in the company, he answered very politely.
This interview went for 30 minutes.
Result: The result came after 2 days of the H.M round. 16 students were selected in total,14 students were selected for the SDE role and 2 students were selected for the SDET role. I was selected for the SDE role.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon. Google , E-Litmus and Microsoft Test Serieses.