Fixed period SCAN (FSCAN) disk scheduling algorithm mainly focuses on handling high variance in shortest seek time first (SSTF). SCAN algorithm is also proposed to handle above mentioned situation but using SCAN algorithm causes long delay while handling requests which are at extremes of disk. FSCAN algorithm determines how read and write head of disk will move in order to handle issue of handling issue of high variance of SSTF.
How it works?
FSCAN makes use of two queues, one of queues stores old r/w requests and other queue stores new r/w requests. When old requests are handled then only new requests are processed. Variations of FSCAN algorithm can also consist of N queues which in turn will make response time faster.
How it handles issue of “high variance in SSTF” ?
FSCAN addresses above mentioned issue by “freezing” queue once scan starts, requests that arrive after scan starts are processed in the next scan.
Performance analysis :
Citing theoretical analysis, it can be seen that SCAN results in lower average response time than FSCAN and higher average response time than shortest seek time first (SSTF). FSCAN algorithm has nice performance due to high throughput and low average response times. FSCAN removes problem of indefinite postponement.
Example : How requests are processed
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Seek Time and Disk Access Time in Disk Scheduling
- Difference between Transfer Time and Disk Access Time in Disk Scheduling
- Difference between Rotational Latency and Disk Access Time in Disk Scheduling
- Program for SSTF disk scheduling algorithm
- C-SCAN Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- LOOK Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- C-LOOK Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- Difference between FCFS and SSTF Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- Difference between SSTF and LOOK disk scheduling algorithm
- Difference between FCFS and C-LOOK disk scheduling algorithm
- Difference between C-SCAN and SSTF Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- Difference between C-LOOK and C-SCAN Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- Difference between SSTF and C-LOOK disk scheduling algorithm
- Difference between FCFS and C-SCAN disk scheduling algorithm
- Difference between Magnetic Disk and Optical Disk
- Difference between Basic Disk and Dynamic Disk
- Disk Scheduling Algorithms
- SCAN (Elevator) Disk Scheduling Algorithms
- FCFS Disk Scheduling Algorithms
- Difference between Seek Time and Rotational Latency in Disk Scheduling
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.