Frequency of a substring in a string | Set 2
Given a string str of length N and a substring pattern of length M, the task is to find the frequency of occurrences of pattern as a substring in the given string. If pattern is present in the string str, then print “Yes” with the count of its occurrence. Otherwise, print “No”.
Input: str = “geeksforgeeks”, pattern = “geeks”
The occurrence of the string “geeks” in the string “geeksforgeeks” is at index 0 and 8.
Therefore, the count is 2.
Input: str = “dhimanman”, pattern = “max”
Naive Approach: Refer to the previous post for the simplest approach to solve the problem.
Time Complexity: O(N*M)
Auxiliary Space: O(1)
Approach using Regular Expression: Follow the steps below to solve the problem:
- Form the regular expression of the string pattern using regex() function.
- Create a smatch M using function smatch().
- Check the presence of the string pattern in the string str using function regex_match() as:
regex_search(str, m, c)
str is the given string,
m is smatch,
c is the regular expression of the string pattern.
- In the above steps, if the function regex_match() returns True, then print “Yes” and find the occurrence of the string pattern. Otherwise, print “No”.
- Create a variable numberOfMatches of data type ptrdiff_t to store the count of occurrence.
- Find the numberOfMatches using function regex_iterator() function as:
ptrdiff_t numberOfMatches = std::distance(sregex_iterator(S.begin(), S.end(), c), sregex_iterator())
- Print the count of occurrence in the above steps as the result.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Yes Frequency of string geeks is 2
Time Complexity: O(N + M)
Auxiliary Space: O(M)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.