The float() method is used to return a floating point number from a number or a string.
The method only accepts one parameter and that is also optional to use. Let us look at the various types of argument, the method accepts:
- A number : Can be an Integer or a floating point number.
- A String :
- Must contain numbers of any type.
- Any left or right whitespaces or a new line is ignored by the method.
- Mathematical Operators can be used.
- Can contain NaN, Infinity or inf (any cases)
Values that the float() method can return depending upon the argument passed
- If an argument is passed, then the equivalent floating point number is returned.
- If no argument is passed then the method returns 0.0 .
- If any string is passed that is not a decimal point number or does not match to any cases mentioned above then an error will be raised.
- If a number is passed outside the range of Python float then OverflowError is generated.
Now let us look at various examples and the working of float() method.
21.89 8.0 23.0 -16.54 -24.45 inf inf nan nan
All lines are executed properly but the last one which will return an error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/21499f1e9ca207f0052f13d64cb6be31.py", line 25, in print(float("Geeks")) ValueError: could not convert string to float: 'Geeks'
- Python - Convert Float String List to Float Values
- Convert String float to float list in Python
- Python | Float type and its methods
- Python | Average of Float Numbers
- Python | Min/Max value in float string list
- Python | Check for float string
- Python | Float Layout in Kivy
- Python | Convert tuple to float value
- Python | sympy.Float() method
- Convert String to Float in Python
- Python | List of float to string conversion
- Python - Convert Float to digit list
- Python | Sort a tuple by its float element
- Python - Resolve Float Keys in Dictionary
- Python - Summation of float string list
- Python | Filter out integers from float numpy array
- Python | Ways to sort list of float values
- Python - Produce K evenly spaced float values
- Python | Convert Joint Float string to Numbers
- Python - Filter float strings from String list
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.