Ride-Sharing Application- SDE II. 2hrs (90min Coding + 30min Review)
Description: Implement a ride-sharing application with the below-expected features.
- The application allows users to share rides on a route.
- Users can either offer a shared ride (Driver) or consume a shared ride (Passenger).
- Users can search and select one from multiple available rides on a route with the same source and destination.
Application should allow user onboarding.
Add basic user details
Add the user’s vehicle(s) details
User should be able to offer a shared ride on a route with details.
Ride will have details like vehicle, origin, destination, available seats. (A ride will have no intermediate stops.)
Users can select a ride from multiple offered rides using a selection strategy. (A user can only request a ride (only for 1 or 2 people))
select_ride(source, destination, seats, selection_strategy)
Prefered Vehicle (Activa/Polo/XUV)
System should be able to end the ride. User can only offer a ride for a given vehicle, once there are no active offered rides for that vehicle.
Find total rides offered/taken by all users.
- If the user’s origin/destinations are not available directly but it’s possible via multiple rides, then the application should output multiple rides. (Example: for input: Bangalore to Mumbai, the output can be Bangalore to Goa and Goa to Mumbai)
- Write a driver class for demo purposes. Which will execute all the commands in one place in the code and test cases.
- Do not use any database or NoSQL store, use in-memory data-structure for now.
- Do not create any UI for the application.
- Please prioritize code compilation, execution, and completion.
- Work on the expected output first and then add good-to-have features of your own.
- Make sure that you have a working and demonstrable code.
- Make sure that the code is functionally correct.
- Use of proper abstraction, modeling, separation of concerns is required.
- Code should be modular, readable and unit-testable.
- Code should easily accommodate new requirements with minimal changes.
- Proper exception handling is required.
Sample Test Cases:
Onboard 5 users
add_user(“Rohan, M, 36”); add_vehicle(“Rohan, Swift, KA-01-12345)
add_user(“Shashank, M, 29”); add_vehicle(“Shashank, Baleno, TS-05-62395)
add_user(“Nandini, F, 29)
add_user(“Shipra, F, 27”) ; add_vehicle(“Shipra”, Polo, KA-05-41491); add_vehicle(“Shipra, Activa KA-12-12332”)
add_user(“Gaurav, M, 29)
add_user(“Rahul, M, 35); add_vehicle(“Rahul”, “XUV”, KA-05-1234);
Offer 4 rides by 3 users
offer_ride(“Rohan, Origin=Hyderabad, Available Seats=1, Vehicle=Swift, KA-01-12345, Destination= Bangalore”)
offer_ride(“Shipra, Origin=Bangalore, Available Seats=1, Vehicle=Activa KA-12-12332, Destination=Mysore”)
offer_ride(“Shipra, Origin=Bangalore, Available Seats=2, Vehicle=Polo, KA-05-41491, Destination=Mysore”)
offer_ride(“Shashank, Origin=Hyderabad, Available Seats=2, Vehicle=Baleno, TS-05-62395, Destination=Bangalore”)
offer_ride(“Rahul, Origin=Hyderabad, Available Seats=5, Vehicle=XUV, KA-05-1234, Destination=Bangalore”)
offer_ride(“Rohan, Origin=Bangalore, Available Seats=1, Vehicle=Swift, KA-01-12345, Destination=Pune”)
This call should fail, since a ride has already been offered by this user for this vehicle.
Find rides for 4 users
select_ride(“Nandini, Origin=Bangalore, Destination=Mysore, Seats=1, Most Vacant”)
2(c) is the desired output.
select_ride(“Gaurav, Origin=Bangalore, Destination=Mysore, Seats=1, Preferred Vehicle=Activa”)
2(b) is the desired output
select_ride(“Shashank, Origin=Mumbai, Destination=Bangalore, Seats=1, Most Vacant”)
No rides found
select_ride(“Rohan, Origin=Hyderabad, Destination=Bangalore, Seats=1, Preferred Vehicle=Baleno”)
2(d) is the desired output
select_ride(“Shashank, Origin=Hyderabad, Destination=Bangalore, Seats=1,Preferred Vehicle=Polo”)
No rides found
Find total rides by user: Rides Taken: Rides that have were taken and have been marked as “ended” Rides Offered: Rides that were offered and have been marked as “ended”. Note: Even if the offered ride was not taken by any user, it counts as an offered ride.
Nandini: 1 Taken, 0 Offered
Rohan: 1 Taken, 1 Offered
Shashank: 0 Taken, 1 Offered
Gaurav: 1 Taken, 0 Offered
Rahul: 0 Taken, 0 Offered
Shipra: 0 Taken, 2 Offered
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon and Microsoft Test Serieses.