Flip-flop is a circuit that maintains a state until directed by input to change the state. A basic flip-flop can be constructed using four-NAND or four-NOR gates.
Types of flip-flops:
- RS Flip Flop
- JK Flip Flop
- D Flip Flop
- T Flip Flop
Logic diagrams and truth tables of the different types of flip-flops are as follows:
S-R Flip Flop :
J-K Flip Flop:
D Flip Flop :
T Flip Flop :
Conversion for FlipFlops :-
Steps To Convert from One FlipFlop to Other :
Let there be required flipflop to be constructed using sub-flipflop:
- Draw the truth table of required flipflop.
- Write the corresponding outputs of sub-flipflop to be used from the excitation table.
- Draw K-Maps using required flipflop inputs and obtain excitation functions for sub-flipflop inputs.
- Construct logic diagram according to the functions obtained.
i) Convert SR To JK FlipFlop
ii) Convert SR To D FlipFlop:
Applications of Flip-Flops
These are the various types of flip-flops being used in digital electronic circuits and the applications of Flip-flops are as specified below.
- Frequency Dividers
- Shift Registers
- Storage Registers
- Bounce elimination switch
- Data storage
- Data transfer
This article is contributed by Kriti Kushwaha .
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Program for Binary To Decimal Conversion
- Program for Decimal to Binary Conversion
- Program for Decimal to Octal Conversion
- Program for Octal to Decimal Conversion
- Analog to Digital Conversion
- Analog to Analog Conversion (Modulation)
- Digital to Analog Conversion
- Verilog Data Types
- Conversion of Binary number to Base 4 system
- Types and Applications of LED
- Conversion of S-R Flip-Flop into T Flip-Flop
- Conversion of J-K Flip-Flop into T Flip-Flop
- Conversion of J-K Flip-Flop into D Flip-Flop
- Conversion of S-R Flip-Flop into D Flip-Flop