Flat Panel Display
Flat-Panel Devices are the devices that have less volume, weight, and power consumption compared to Cathode Ray Tube (CRT). Due to the advantages of the Flat-Panel Display, use of CRT decreased. As Flat Panel Devices are light in weights that’s why they can be hang on walls and wear them on our wrist as a watch. Flat Panel Display (FPD) allow users to view data, graphics, text and images.
Types of Flat Panel Display:
1. Emissive Display:
The Emissive Display or Emitters are the devices that convert electrical energy into light energy.
Examples: Plasma Panel, LED (Light Emitting Diode), Flat CRT.
2. Non-Emissive Display:
Non-Emissive Display or Non-Emitters are the devices that use optical effects to convert sunlight or some other source into graphic patterns.
Examples: LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)
Advantages of Flat Panel Devices:
- Flat Panel Devices like LCD produces high quality digital images.
- Flat Panel monitor are stylish and have very space saving design.
- Flat Panel Devices consumes less power and give maximum image size in minimum space.
- Flat Panel Devices use its full color display capability.
- Full motion video can be viewed on Flat Panel Devices without artifacts or contrast loss.
Disadvantages of Flat Panel Devices:
- They are very expensive compared to CRTs.
- They have very high refresh rates.
- Slow response times.
- They may be heavier and bulkier than other display types.