Given ‘n’ line segments, each of them is either horizontal or vertical, find the maximum number of triangles(including triangles with zero area) that can be formed by joining the intersection points of the line segments.
No two horizontal line segments overlap, nor do two vertical line segments. A line is represented using two points(four integers, first two being the x and y coordinates, respectively for the first point and the other two being the x and y coordinates for the second point)
| ---|-------|-- | | ----- | --|--|- | | | | For the above line segments, there are four points of intersection between vertical and horizontal lines, every three out of which form a triangle, so there can be 4C3 triangles.
The idea is based on Sweep Line Algorithm.
Building a solution in steps:
- Store both points of all line segments with the corresponding event(described below) in a vector and sort all the points, in non-decreasing order of their x coordinates.
- Let’s now imagine a vertical line that we sweep across all these points and describe 3 events, based on which point we currently are:
- in – leftmost point of a horizontal line segment
- out – rightmost point of a horizontal line segment
- a vertical line
- We call the region “active” or the horizontal lines “active” that have had the first event but not second. We will have a BIT(Binary indexed tree) to store the ‘y’ coordinates of all active lines.
- Once a line becomes inactive, we remove its ‘y’ from the BIT.
- When an event of third type occurs, that is, when we are at a vertical line, we query the tree in range of its ‘y’ coordinates and add the result to the number of intersection points so far.
- Finally, we will have the number of points of intersections, say m, then the number of triangles (including zero area) will be mC3.
Note: We need to carefully sort the points, look at the cmp() function in the implementation for clarification.
Number of triangles are: 4
Time Complexity: O( n * log(n) + n * log(maximum_y) )
This article is contributed by Saumye Malhotra. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Number of horizontal or vertical line segments to connect 3 points
- Number of parallelograms when n horizontal parallel lines intersect m vertical parallellines
- Check horizontal and vertical symmetry in binary matrix
- Given n line segments, find if any two segments intersect
- Bootstrap (Part-4) | Vertical Forms, Horizontal Forms, Inline Forms
- How to check if two given line segments intersect?
- Computer Organization | Horizontal micro-programmed Vs Vertical micro-programmed control unit
- Klee's Algorithm (Length Of Union Of Segments of a line)
- Maximum possible intersection by moving centers of line segments
- Given a linked list of line segments, remove middle points
- Program to delete a line given the line number from a file
- Maximum number of segments of lengths a, b and c
- Number of segments where all elements are greater than X
- Maximize the number of segments of length p, q and r
- Check if a large number can be divided into two or more segments of equal sum