Given a number n, find number of digits in n’th Fibonacci Numbers. First few Fibinacci numbers are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, ….
Input : n = 6 Output : 1 6'th Fibonacci number is 8 and it has 1 digit. Input : n = 12 Output : 3 12'th Fibonacci number is 144 and it has 3 digits.
A simple solution is to find n’th Fibonacci Number and then count number of digits in it. This solution may lead to overflow problems for large values of n.
A direct way is to count number of digits in the nth Fibonacci number using below Binet’s Formula.
fib(n) = (Φn - Ψ-n) / √5 where Φ = (1 + √5) / 2 Ψ = (1 - √5) / 2 The above formula can be simplified, fib(n) = round(Φn / ? 5) Here round function indicates nearest integer. Count of digits in Fib(n) = Log10Fib(n) = Log10(Φn / √5) = n*Log10(Φ) - Log10√5 = n*Log10(Φ) - (Log105)/2
As mentioned in this G-Fact, this formula doesn’t seem to work and produce correct Fibonacci numbers due to limitations of floating point arithmetic. However, it looks viable to use this formula to find count of digits in n’th Fibonacci number.
Below is the implementation of above idea :
Number of Digits in F(1) - 1 Number of Digits in F(2) - 1 Number of Digits in F(3) - 1 Number of Digits in F(4) - 1 Number of Digits in F(5) - 1 Number of Digits in F(6) - 1 Number of Digits in F(7) - 2 Number of Digits in F(8) - 2 Number of Digits in F(9) - 2 Number of Digits in F(10) - 2
This article is contributed by Ayush Khanduri. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- G-Fact 18 | Finding nth Fibonacci Number using Golden Ratio
- Finding sum of digits of a number until sum becomes single digit
- Finding n-th number made of prime digits (2, 3, 5 and 7) only
- Program to find last two digits of Nth Fibonacci number
- Check if a M-th fibonacci number divides N-th fibonacci number
- Find smallest number with given number of digits and sum of digits under given constraints
- Count of integers in a range which have even number of odd digits and odd number of even digits
- Check if sum of Fibonacci elements in an Array is a Fibonacci number or not
- Number of ways to represent a number as sum of k fibonacci numbers
- Number formed by deleting digits such that sum of the digits becomes even and the number odd
- Find the Largest number with given number of digits and sum of digits
- Find smallest number with given number of digits and sum of digits
- How to check if a given number is Fibonacci number?
- Find smallest number formed by inverting digits of given number N
- Find the number of positive integers less than or equal to N that have an odd number of digits
- Find smallest possible Number from a given large Number with same count of digits
- Number of digits to be removed to make a number divisible by 3
- Find count of digits in a number that divide the number
- Count of prime digits of a Number which divides the number
- Number of times a number can be replaced by the sum of its digits until it only contains one digit