Given a number n, find number of digits in n’th Fibonacci Numbers. First few Fibinacci numbers are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, ….
Input : n = 6 Output : 1 6'th Fibonacci number is 8 and it has 1 digit. Input : n = 12 Output : 3 12'th Fibonacci number is 144 and it has 3 digits.
A simple solution is to find n’th Fibonacci Number and then count number of digits in it. This solution may lead to overflow problems for large values of n.
A direct way is to count number of digits in the nth Fibonacci number using below Binet’s Formula.
fib(n) = (Φn - Ψ-n) / √5 where Φ = (1 + √5) / 2 Ψ = (1 - √5) / 2 The above formula can be simplified, fib(n) = round(Φn / ? 5) Here round function indicates nearest integer. Count of digits in Fib(n) = Log10Fib(n) = Log10(Φn / √5) = n*Log10(Φ) - Log10√5 = n*Log10(Φ) - (Log105)/2
As mentioned in this G-Fact, this formula doesn’t seem to work and produce correct Fibonacci numbers due to limitations of floating point arithmetic. However, it looks viable to use this formula to find count of digits in n’th Fibonacci number.
Below is the implementation of above idea :
Number of Digits in F(1) - 1 Number of Digits in F(2) - 1 Number of Digits in F(3) - 1 Number of Digits in F(4) - 1 Number of Digits in F(5) - 1 Number of Digits in F(6) - 1 Number of Digits in F(7) - 2 Number of Digits in F(8) - 2 Number of Digits in F(9) - 2 Number of Digits in F(10) - 2
This article is contributed by Ayush Khanduri. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- G-Fact 18 | Finding nth Fibonacci Number using Golden Ratio
- Finding sum of digits of a number until sum becomes single digit
- Finding n-th number made of prime digits (2, 3, 5 and 7) only
- Program to find last two digits of Nth Fibonacci number
- Check if a M-th fibonacci number divides N-th fibonacci number
- Count of integers in a range which have even number of odd digits and odd number of even digits
- Number of ways to represent a number as sum of k fibonacci numbers
- Find the Largest number with given number of digits and sum of digits
- Find smallest number with given number of digits and sum of digits
- How to check if a given number is Fibonacci number?
- Find the number of positive integers less than or equal to N that have an odd number of digits
- Count number of digits after decimal on dividing a number
- Print a number strictly less than a given number such that all its digits are distinct.
- Find count of digits in a number that divide the number
- Find maximum number that can be formed using digits of a given number