Selenium’s Python Module is built to perform automated testing with Python. Selenium Python bindings provides a simple API to write functional/acceptance tests using Selenium WebDriver. After you have installed selenium and checked out – Navigating links using get method, you might want to play more with Selenium Python. After one has opened a page using selenium such as geeksforgeeks, one might want to click some buttons automatically or fill a form automatically or any such automated task.
This article revoles around how to grab or locate elements in a webpage using locating strategies of Seleium Web Driver. More specifically,
find_element_by_link_text() is discussed in this article. With this strategy, the first element with the link text value matching the location will be returned. If no element has a matching link text attribute, a NoSuchElementException will be raised.
driver.find_element_by_link_text("Text of Link")
For instance, consider this page source:
Now after you have created a driver, you can grab an element using –
login_form = driver.find_element_by_link_text('Continue')
How to use driver.find_element_by_link_text() method in Selenium?
Let’s try to practically implement this method and get a element instance for “https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/”. Let’s try to grab search form input using its link text “Tutorials”.
Create a file called run.py to demonstrate find_element_by_link_text method –
Now run using –
First, it will open firefox window with geeksforgeeks, and then select the element and print it on terminal as show below.
Browser Output –
Terminal Output –
More locators for locating single elements
|find_element_by_id||The first element with the id attribute value matching the location will be returned.|
|find_element_by_name||The first element with the name attribute value matching the location will be returned.|
|find_element_by_xpath||The first element with the xpath syntax matching the location will be returned.|
|find_element_by_link_text||The first element with the link text value matching the location will be returned.|
|find_element_by_partial_link_text||The first element with the partial link text value matching the location will be returned.|
|find_element_by_tag_name||The first element with the given tag name will be returned.|
|find_element_by_class_name||the first element with the matching class attribute name will be returned.|
|find_element_by_css_selector||The first element with the matching CSS selector will be returned.|
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- find_element_by_name() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_element_by_xpath() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_element_by_partial_link_text() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_element_by_tag_name() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_element_by_class_name() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_element_by_id() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_element_by_css_selector() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_elements_by_name() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_elements_by_xpath() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_elements_by_link_text() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_elements_by_partial_link_text() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_elements_by_tag_name() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_elements_by_class_name() driver method - Selenium Python
- find_elements_by_css_selector() driver method - Selenium Python
- add_cookie driver method - Selenium Python
- fullscreen_window driver method - Selenium Python
- forward driver method - Selenium Python
- execute_script driver method - Selenium Python
- execute_async_script driver method - Selenium Python
- get_cookie driver method - Selenium Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : NaveenArora