This puzzle is an extension of the famous interview problem, find angle between hour and minute hand at any given time. The questions asks us to find the time when they both superimpose.
The hour hand moves 360o in 12 hours and thus, 0.5 degrees in 1 min. The minute hands moves 360 degrees in 60 min, hence, 6 degrees in 1 minute. After H hours and M minutes,
Angle(Hour hand) = 0.5*(60*H + M)
Angle(Min Hand) = 6*M
For them to superimpose, both the above angles should be equal. Hence,
0.5*(60*H+M) = 6*M
(60*H+M) = 12*M
60*H = 11*M
M = 5.45*H
Now H varies from 0 to 11, we can correspondingly calculate the value of M for each H.
This gives times of: 0:00, 1:05.45, 2:10.90, 3:16.36, 4:21.81, 5:27.27. 6:32.72, 7:38.18, 8:43.63, 9:49.09, 10:54.54, and 12:00. (0.45 minutes are exactly 27.27 seconds)
- Find a time for which angle between hour and minute hands is given theta
- Time when minute hand and hour hand coincide
- Python program to convert time from 12 hour to 24 hour format
- Program to convert time from 12 hour to 24 hour format
- Convert time from 24 hour clock to 12 hour clock format
- Program to find the time after K minutes from given time
- Time difference between expected time and given time
- Changing One Clock Time to Other Time in Minimum Number of Operations
- Add given n time durations
- Puzzle | Best time to escape
- Convert given time into words
- Java | Current date and time
- Print system time in C++ (3 different ways)
- Puzzle | ( Distance, Time and Work)
- time.h localtime() function in C with Examples
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.