Given a range [low..high], print the smallest twin numbers in given range (low and high inclusive). Two numbers are twins if they are primes and there difference is 2.
Input: low = 10, high = 100 Output: Smallest twins in given range: (11, 13) Both 11 and 13 are prime numbers and difference between them is two, therefore twins. And these are the smallest twins in [10..100] Input: low = 50, high = 100 Output: Smallest twins in given range: (59, 61)
A Simple Solution is to start to start from low and for every number x check if x and x + 2 are primes are not. Here x varies from low to high-2.
An Efficient Solution is to use Sieve of Eratosthenes
1) Create a boolean array "prime[0..high]" and initialize all entries in it as true. A value in prime[i] will finally be false if i is not a prime number, else true. 2) Run a loop from p = 2 to high. a) If prime[p] is true, then p is prime. [See this] b) Mark all multiples of p as not prime in prime. 3) Run a loop from low to high and print the first twins using prime built in step 2.
Below is the implementation of above idea.
Smallest twins in given range: (11, 13)
Thanks to Utkarsh Trivedi for suggesting this solution.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Find the largest twins in given range
- Find kth smallest number in range [1, n] when all the odd numbers are deleted
- Count all the numbers in a range with smallest factor as K
- Length of Smallest subarray in range 1 to N with sum greater than a given value
- Find Kth smallest value for b such that a + b = a | b
- Find smallest values of x and y such that ax - by = 0
- Find smallest number K such that K % p = 0 and q % K = 0
- Find K'th smallest number such that A + B = A | B
- Find the Smallest number that divides X^X
- Find smallest permutation of given number
- Find smallest number n such that n XOR n+1 equals to given k.
- Find the kth smallest number with sum of digits as m
- Given a number, find the next smallest palindrome
- Find Nth smallest number that is divisible by 100 exactly K times
- Find smallest positive number Y such that Bitwise AND of X and Y is Zero