Given a tree, and the weights of all the nodes, the task is to find the root of the sub-tree whose weighted sum is minimum.
Weight of sub-tree for parent 1 = ((-1) + (5) + (-2) + (-1) + (3)) = 4
Weight of sub-tree for parent 2 = ((5) + (-1) + (3)) = 7
Weight of sub-tree for parent 3 = -1
Weight of sub-tree for parent 4 = 3
Weight of sub-tree for parent 5 = -2
Node 5 gives the minimum sub-tree weighted sum.
Approach: Perform dfs on the tree, and for every node calculate the sub-tree weighted sum rooted at the current node then find the minimum sum value for a node.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
- Time Complexity : O(N).
In dfs, every node of the tree is processed once and hence the complexity due to the dfs is O(N) if there are total N nodes in the tree. Therefore, the time complexity is O(N).
- Auxiliary Space : O(n).
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find the root of the sub-tree whose weighted sum XOR with X is minimum
- Find the root of the sub-tree whose weighted sum XOR with X is maximum
- Queries to find the Minimum Weight from a Subtree of atmost D-distant Nodes from Node X
- Check if two nodes are in same subtree of the root node
- Find if there is a pair in root to a leaf path with sum equals to root's data
- Minimum distance to visit all the nodes of an undirected weighted tree
- Minimum cost to connect weighted nodes represented as array
- Minimum Cost of Simple Path between two nodes in a Directed and Weighted Graph
- Find largest subtree sum in a tree
- Find GCD of each subtree of a given node in an N-ary Tree for Q queries
- Find the largest BST subtree in a given Binary Tree | Set 1
- Find the Kth node in the DFS traversal of a given subtree in a Tree
- Find the largest Complete Subtree in a given Binary Tree
- Find largest subtree having identical left and right subtrees
- Find the largest Perfect Subtree in a given Binary Tree
- Minimum difference between any two weighted nodes in Sum Tree of the given Tree
- Minimum edge reversals to make a root
- Queries to find sum of distance of a given node to every leaf node in a Weighted Tree
- Find Nth positive number whose digital root is X
- Find root of the tree where children id sum for every node is given
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.