Given N which denotes the initial position of the person on the number line. Also given L which is the probability of the person of going left. Find the probability of reaching all points on the number line after N moves from point N. Each move can be either to the left or to the right.
Input: n = 2, l = 0.5
Output: 0.2500 0.0000 0.5000 0.0000 0.2500
The person can reach n-1th position and n+1th position in 2 passes, hence the probability is 0. The person can reach 0th position by only moving 2 steps left from index 2, hence the probability of reaching 0th index is 05*0.5=0.25. Similarly for 2n index, the probability is 0.25.
Input: n = 3, l = 0.1
Output: 0.0010 0.0000 0.0270 0.0000 0.2430 0.0000 0.7290
The person can reach n-1th in three ways, i.e., (llr, lrl, rll) where l denotes left and r denotes right. Hence the probability of n-1th index is 0.027. Similarly probabilties for all other points are also calculated.
Approach: Construct an array arr[n+1][2n+1] where each row represents a pass and the columns represent the points on the line. The maximum a person can move from index N is to 0th index at left or to 2nth index at right. Initially the probabilities after one pass will be right for arr[n-1] and left for arr[n+1]. The n-1 moves which are left will be done, hence the two possible moves will either be n steps to the right or n steps to the left. So the recurrence relations for right and left moves for all will be:
arr[i][j] += (arr[i – 1][j – 1] * right)
arr[i][j] += (arr[i – 1][j + 1] * left)
The summation of probabilities for all possible moves for any index will be stored in arr[n][i].
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
0.2500 0.0000 0.5000 0.0000 0.2500
Time Complexity: O(N2)
Auxiliary Space: O(N2)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Probability of Knight to remain in the chessboard
- Paytm Interview experience for FTE (On-Campus)
- Balanced expressions such that given positions have opening brackets | Set 2
- Number of ways a convex polygon of n+2 sides can split into triangles by connecting vertices
- Alternate Fibonacci Numbers
- Find the largest area rectangular sub-matrix whose sum is equal to k
- Sum of elements of all partitions of number such that no element is less than K
- Water Jug Problem using Memoization
- Number of Co-prime pairs obtained from the sum of digits of elements in the given range
- Edit Distance | DP using Memoization