Given N which denotes the initial position of the person on the number line. Also given L which is the probability of the person of going left. Find the probability of reaching all points on the number line after N moves from point N. Each move can be either to the left or to the right.
Input: n = 2, l = 0.5
Output: 0.2500 0.0000 0.5000 0.0000 0.2500
The person can’t reach n-1th position and n+1th position in 2 passes, hence the probability is 0. The person can reach 0th position by only moving 2 steps left from index 2, hence the probability of reaching 0th index is 05*0.5=0.25. Similarly for 2n index, the probability is 0.25.
Input: n = 3, l = 0.1
Output: 0.0010 0.0000 0.0270 0.0000 0.2430 0.0000 0.7290
The person can reach n-1th in three ways, i.e., (llr, lrl, rll) where l denotes left and r denotes right. Hence the probability of n-1th index is 0.027. Similarly probabilties for all other points are also calculated.
Approach: Construct an array arr[n+1][2n+1] where each row represents a pass and the columns represent the points on the line. The maximum a person can move from index N is to 0th index at left or to 2nth index at right. Initially the probabilities after one pass will be left for arr[n-1] and right for arr[n+1]. The n-1 moves which are left will be done, hence the two possible moves will either be n steps to the right or n steps to the left. So the recurrence relations for right and left moves for all will be:
arr[i][j] += (arr[i – 1][j – 1] * right)
arr[i][j] += (arr[i – 1][j + 1] * left)
The summation of probabilities for all possible moves for any index will be stored in arr[n][i].
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
0.2500 0.0000 0.5000 0.0000 0.2500
Time Complexity: O(N2)
Auxiliary Space: O(N2)
- Probability of reaching a point with 2 or 3 steps at a time
- Puzzle | Find The Probability of Distance in a Square
- Find the probability of a state at a given time in a Markov chain | Set 1
- Find probability of selecting element from kth column after N iterations
- Find probability that a player wins when probabilities of hitting the target are given
- Find number of endless points
- Find maximum points which can be obtained by deleting elements from array
- Minimum Cost Path with Left, Right, Bottom and Up moves allowed
- Probability of rain on N+1th day
- Aptitude | Probability | Question 10
- Aptitude | Probability | Question 1
- Probability of getting more value in third dice throw
- Aptitude | Probability | Question 9
- Aptitude | Probability | Question 8
- Probability that two persons will meet
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : hasbrovish95