Given an integers X. The task is to find the number of jumps to reach a point X in the number line starting from zero.
Note: The first jump made can be of length one unit and each successive jump will be exactly one unit longer than the previous jump in length. It is allowed to go either left or right in each jump.
Input : X = 8 Output : 4 Explanation : 0 -> -1 -> 1 -> 4-> 8 are possible stages. Input : X = 9 Output : 5 Explanation : 0 -> -1 -> -3 -> 0 -> 4-> 9 are possible stages
Approach : On observing carefully, it can be said easily that:
- If you have always jumped in the right direction then after n jumps you will be at the point p = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + … + n.
- If instead of jumping right, you jumped left in the kth jump, you would be at point p – 2k.
- Moreover, by carefully choosing which jumps to go left and which to go right, after n jumps, you can be at any point between n * (n + 1) / 2 and – (n * (n + 1) / 2) with the same parity as n * (n + 1) / 2.
Keeping the above points in mind, what you must do is simulate the jumping process, always jumping to the right, and if at some point, you’ve reached a point that has the same parity as X and is at or beyond X, you’ll have your answer.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find the minimum of maximum length of a jump required to reach the last island in exactly k jumps
- Minimum number of jumps to reach end
- Check if it is possible to reach a number by making jumps of two given length
- Reach the numbers by making jumps of two given lengths
- Minimum steps to reach the Nth stair in jumps of perfect power of 2
- Count minimum factor jumps required to reach the end of an Array
- Find minimum moves to reach target on an infinite line
- Minimum moves to reach target on a infinite line | Set 2
- Find if two people ever meet after same number of jumps
- Slope of the line parallel to the line with the given slope
- Equation of straight line passing through a given point which bisects it into two equal line segments
- Number of jumps for a thief to cross walls
- Climb n-th stair with all jumps from 1 to n allowed (Three Different Approaches)
- Check if it is possible to move from (a, 0) to (b, 0) with given jumps
- Source to destination in 2-D path with fixed sized jumps
- Path traversed using exactly M coins in K jumps
- Minimum jumps required to group all 1s together in a given Binary string
- Find the number of consecutive zero at the end after multiplying n numbers
- Find smallest positive number Y such that Bitwise AND of X and Y is Zero
- Find Number of Even cells in a Zero Matrix after Q queries
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.