Given two integers N and M. The task is to find the minimum number of steps to reach M from N by performing given operations.
- Multiply a number x by 2. So, x becomes 2*x.
- Subtract one from the number x. So, x becomes x-1.
Input : N = 4, M = 6 Output : 2 Explanation : Perform operation number 2 on N. So, N becomes 3 and then perform operation number 1. Then, N becomes 6. So, the minimum number of steps is 2. Input : N = 10, M = 1 Output : 9 Explanation : Perform operation number two 9 times on N. Then N becomes 1.
The idea is to reverse the problem as follows: We should get the number N starting from M using the operations:
- Divide the number by 2 if it is even.
- Add 1 to the number.
Now, the minimum number of operations would be:
- If N > M, return the difference between them, that is, number of steps will be adding 1 to M until it becomes equal to N.
- Else if N < M.
- Keep dividing M by 2 until it becomes less than N. If M is odd, add 1 to it first and then divide by 2. Once M is less than N, add the difference between them to the count along with the count of above operations.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Minimum steps to reach N from 1 by multiplying each step by 2, 3, 4 or 5
- Count the minimum steps to reach 0 from the given integer N
- Minimum steps to reach the Nth stair in jumps of perfect power of 2
- Number of steps required to reach point (x,y) from (0,0) using zig-zag way
- Minimize the number of steps required to reach the end of the array | Set 2
- Minimum number of jumps to reach end
- Minimum number of moves to reach N starting from (1, 1)
- Find minimum moves to reach target on an infinite line
- Find the minimum of maximum length of a jump required to reach the last island in exactly k jumps
- Minimize steps to reach K from 0 by adding 1 or doubling at each step
- Minimum number of moves required to reach the destination by the king in a chess board
- Find the number of stair steps
- Count ways to reach the Nth stair using multiple 1 or 2 steps and a single step 3
- Find the number of jumps to reach X in the number line from zero
- Find the number of ways to reach Kth step in stair case
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.