Given a Binary Tree having positive and negative nodes, the task is to find the maximum absolute difference of level sum in it.
Input: 4 / \ 2 -5 / \ / \ -1 3 -2 6 Output: 9 Explanation: Sum of all nodes of 0 level is 4 Sum of all nodes of 1 level is -3 Sum of all nodes of 2 level is 6 Hence maximum absolute difference of level sum = 9 (6 - (-3)) Input: 1 / \ 2 3 / \ \ 4 5 8 / \ 6 7 Output: 16
Approach: To find the maximum absolute difference of level sum, we only need to find Maximum level sum and Minimum level sum because absolute difference of maximum and minimum level sum always gives us Maximum absolute difference, i.e.
Maximum absolute difference = abs(Maximum level sum – Minimum level sum)
Below are the steps for algorithm of above observation:
- The idea is to do level order traversal of the tree.
- While doing traversal, process nodes of different levels separately.
- For every level being processed, compute sum of nodes in the level and keep track of maximum and minimum level sum.
- Then return the absolute difference of maximum and minimum level sum.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Time Complexity: O(N)
Auxiliary Space: O(N)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Maximum absolute difference between any two level sum in a N-ary Tree
- Difference between sums of odd level and even level nodes of a Binary Tree
- Check if max sum level of Binary tree divides tree into two equal sum halves
- Difference between sums of odd level and even level nodes in an N-ary Tree
- Minimum difference between any two weighted nodes in Sum Tree of the given Tree
- Count nodes from all lower levels smaller than minimum valued node of current level for every level in a Binary Tree
- Queries to find the maximum Xor value between X and the nodes of a given level of a perfect binary tree
- Find maximum level sum in Binary Tree
- Find Maximum Level Sum in Binary Tree using Recursion
- Print nodes between two given level numbers of a binary tree
- Maximum sub-tree sum in a Binary Tree such that the sub-tree is also a BST
- Difference between sums of odd position and even position nodes for each level of a Binary Tree
- Difference between Binary Tree and Binary Search Tree
- XOR of path between any two nodes in a Binary Tree
- Print path between any two nodes in a Binary Tree
- Print path between any two nodes in a Binary Tree | Set 2
- Given level order traversal of a Binary Tree, check if the Tree is a Min-Heap
- Find the maximum path sum between two leaves of a binary tree
- Find maximum level product in Binary Tree
- Find the maximum node at a given level in a binary tree
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.