Given two integers R and C, the task is to find the element at the Rth row and Cth column.
- First Element of ith row =
- Every element is a Arthmetic progression increasing difference where common difference is 1.
- Intial Difference Term =
Input: R = 4, C = 4
Pattern of size 4 * 4 is –
1 3 6 10
2 5 9 14
4 8 13 19
7 12 18 25
Therefore, Element at Pat = 25
Input: R = 3, C = 3
Pattern of size 3 * 3 is –
1 3 6
2 5 9
4 8 13
Therefore, element at Pat = 13
Naive Approach: A simple solution is to generate the pattern matrix of size R * C and then finally return the element at the Rth row and Cth column.
Time Complexity: O(R*C)
Auxiliary Space: O(R*C)
Efficient Approach: The idea is to find the first term of the Rth row using the formulae and then finally compute the Cth term of that column using the help of loop.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find the original matrix when largest element in a row and a column are given
- Construct a matrix such that union of ith row and ith column contains every element from 1 to 2N-1
- Kth smallest element in a row-wise and column-wise sorted 2D array | Set 1
- Find if a binary matrix exists with given row and column sums
- Find trace of matrix formed by adding Row-major and Column-major order of same matrix
- Find an N x N grid whose xor of every row and column is equal
- Find a Square Matrix such that sum of elements in every row and column is K
- Find all matrix elements which are minimum in their row and maximum in their column
- Count zeros in a row wise and column wise sorted matrix
- Number of positions with Same address in row major and column major order
- Count of ways to generate a Matrix with product of each row and column as 1 or -1
- Maximum sum of any submatrix of a Matrix which is sorted row-wise and column-wise
- Check if it is possible to create a matrix such that every row has A 1s and every column has B 1s
- Count positions in Binary Matrix having equal count of set bits in corresponding row and column
- Count 1s in binary matrix having remaining indices of its row and column filled with 0s
- Search in a row wise and column wise sorted matrix
- Ways to place 4 items in n^2 positions such that no row/column contains more than one
- Leftmost Column with atleast one 1 in a row-wise sorted binary matrix
- Leftmost Column with atleast one 1 in a row-wise sorted binary matrix | Set 2
- Find maximum element of each row in a matrix
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.