Given an integer N which is the number of sides of a regular polygon. The task is to find the smallest angle of rotation such that the generated regular polygons have a similar position and dimensions, i.e. the new rotated polygon is in symmetry with the initial one.
A shape is said to have a rotation symmetry if there exists a rotation in the range [1, 360o] such that the new shape overlaps the initial shape completely.
Input: N = 4
A 4 sided regular polygon is a square and when it is rotated by 90 degrees it results in the similar square.
Input: N = 8
Approach: For any N sided regular polygon, when rotated by 360 degrees, it aligns in the original position of the polygon. To find the minimum angle of rotation we use the property of symmetry of regular polygons. For an N sided regular polygon when rotated by 360/N degrees, the rotated polygon is in the same position as of the original polygon, which is the exterior angle of an N-sided regular polygon.
Consider N = 4,
Below is the implementation of the above approach.
Angle of Rotational Symmetry: 90
Time Complexity: O (1)
Auxiliary Space: O (1)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Nth angle of a Polygon whose initial angle and per angle increment is given
- Program to find the Interior and Exterior Angle of a Regular Polygon
- Angle between 3 given vertices in a n-sided regular polygon
- Number of occurrences of a given angle formed using 3 vertices of a n-sided regular polygon
- Central angle of a N sided Regular Polygon
- Angle subtended by the chord when the angle subtended by another chord of same length is given
- Exterior angle of a cyclic quadrilateral when the opposite interior angle is given
- Angle between a chord and a tangent when angle in the alternate segment is given
- Angle subtended by the chord to center of the circle when the angle subtended by the another equal chord of a congruent circle is given
- Program to calculate angle on circumference subtended by the chord when the central angle subtended by the chord is given
- Area of Triangle using Side-Angle-Side (length of two sides and the included angle)
- Check if it is possible to create a polygon with a given angle
- Program to find the Circumcircle of any regular polygon
- Program to find the Perimeter of a Regular Polygon
- Program to find Area of Triangle inscribed in N-sided Regular Polygon
- Regular polygon using only 1s in a binary numbered circle
- Side of a regular n-sided polygon circumscribed in a circle
- Area of a n-sided regular polygon with given side length
- Area of a n-sided regular polygon with given Radius
- Length of Diagonal of a n-sided regular polygon
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.