Find position of given term in a series formed with only digits 4 and 7 allowed
There is a series of numbers that have only digits, 4 and 7, and numbers are arranged in increasing order. The first few numbers of the series are 4, 7, 44, 47, 74, 77, 444, …etc. Given a number N, the task is to find the position of that number in the given series.
Input: N = 4
The first number in the series is 4
Input: N = 777
The 14th number in the series is 777
Approach: This problem can be solved using the below observations:
- Below is the pattern observe in the given series. The numbers can be seen as:
"" / \ 4 7 / \ / \ 44 47 74 77 / \ / \ / \ / \
- As we can observe the pattern is increasing in power of 2. Therefore the idea is to iterate over the digits of the number starting from the least significant digit and update the position of the number as:
- If current digit = 7, then add to the position.
- If current digit = 4, then add to the position.
- Print the final position after the above operations.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Time Complexity: O(log10N)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.