Given the co-ordinates of a 2-dimensional point p(x0, y0). Find the points at a distance L away from it, such that the line formed by joining these points has a slope of M.
Input : p = (2, 1) L = sqrt(2) M = 1 Output :3, 2 1, 0 Explanation: The two points are sqrt(2) distance away from the source and have the required slope m = 1. Input : p = (1, 0) L = 5 M = 0 Output : 6, 0 -4, 0
We need to find two points that are L distance from given point, on a line with slope M.
The idea has been introduced in below post.
Find Corners of Rectangle using mid points
Based on the input slope, the problem can be classified into 3 categories.
- If slope is zero, we just need to adjust the x coordinate of the source point
- If slope is infinite, the we need to adjust the y coordinate
- For other values of slope, we can use the following equations to find the points
Now using the above formula we can find the required points.
3, 2 1, 0 6, 0 -4, 0
This article is contributed by Ashutosh Kumar 😀 If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Program to find slope of a line
- Slope of the line parallel to the line with the given slope
- Slope of perpendicular to line
- Program to find line passing through 2 Points
- Haversine formula to find distance between two points on a sphere
- Ways to choose three points with distance between the most distant points <= L
- Find the slope of the given number
- Count maximum points on same line
- Represent a given set of points by the best possible straight line
- Hammered distance between N points in a 2-D plane
- Program to calculate distance between two points
- Program for distance between two points on earth
- Program to calculate distance between two points in 3 D
- Perpendicular distance between a point and a Line in 2 D
- Check whether it is possible to join two points given on circle such that distance between them is k