Given n > 3, find number of diagonals in n sided convex polygon.
According to Wikipedia, In geometry, a diagonal is a line segment joining two vertices of a polygon or polyhedron, when those vertices are not on the same edge. Informally, any sloping line is called diagonal.
Input : 5 Output : 5
Explanation: Five possible diagonals are : AC, AD, BD, BE, CE
Since for an n-sided convex polygon, from each vertex, we can draw n-3 diagonals leaving two adjacent vertices and itself. Following this way for n-vertices, there will be n*(n-3) diagonals but then we will be calculating each diagonal twice so total number of diagonals become n*(n-3)/2
Here is code for above formula.
5 sided convex polygon have 5 diagonals
This article is contributed by Pratik Chhajer. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Number of triangles formed by joining vertices of n-sided polygon with one side common
- Apothem of a n-sided regular polygon
- Area of a n-sided regular polygon with given Radius
- Length of Diagonal of a n-sided regular polygon
- Side of a regular n-sided polygon circumscribed in a circle
- Area of a n-sided regular polygon with given side length
- Probability that the pieces of a broken stick form a n sided polygon
- Area of largest Circle inscribe in N-sided Regular polygon
- Number of triangles formed by joining vertices of n-sided polygon with two common sides and no common sides
- Dynamic Convex hull | Adding Points to an Existing Convex Hull
- Program to find the Circumcircle of any regular polygon
- Program to find the Perimeter of a Regular Polygon
- Tangents between two Convex Polygons
- Convex Hull | Set 2 (Graham Scan)
- Deleting points from Convex Hull