Consider a series of numbers composed of only digits 4 and 7. First few numbers in the series are 4, 7, 44, 47, 74, 77, 444, .. etc. Given a number n, we need to find n-th number in the series.
Input : n = 2 Output : 7 Input : n = 3 Output : 44 Input : n = 5 Output : 74 Input : n = 6 Output : 77
We have discussed a O(n) solution in below post.
Find n-th element in a series with only 2 digits (4 and 7) allowed
In this post, a O(log n) solution is discussed which is based on below pattern in numbers. The numbers can be seen
"" / \ 4 7 / \ / \ 44 47 74 77 / \ / \ / \ / \
The idea is to fill the required number from end. We know can observe that the last digit is 4 if n is odd and last digit is 7 if n is even. After filling last digit, we move to parent node in tree. If n is odd, then parent node corresponds to (n-1/2. Else parent node corresponds to (n-2)/2.
In this code the total complexity is O(log n). Because while loop run log (n) times.
This article is contributed by Devanshu Agarwal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find n-th element in a series with only 2 digits (4 and 7) allowed
- Find position of given term in a series formed with only digits 4 and 7 allowed
- Queries to find distance between two nodes of a Binary tree - O(logn) method
- Numbers of Length N having digits A and B and whose sum of digits contain only digits A and B
- Nth number made up of odd digits only
- Count of numbers between range having only non-zero digits whose sum of digits is N and number is divisible by M
- Find the Nth element of the modified Fibonacci series
- Number of digits in the nth number made of given four digits
- Sum of the digits of square of the given number which has only 1's as its digits
- Minimum digits to be removed to make either all digits or alternating digits same
- Find Nth term of the series where each term differs by 6 and 2 alternately
- Find Nth even length palindromic number formed using digits X and Y
- Count of integers of length N and value less than K such that they contain digits only from the given set
- Find the count of numbers that can be formed using digits 3, 4 only and having length at max N.
- Find the number of integers from 1 to n which contains digits 0's and 1's only
- Program to find Nth term in the given Series
- Program to find the Nth term of the series 3, 7, 13, 21, 31.....
- Program to find Nth term of series 1, 3, 12, 60, 360…
- Program to find the Nth term of series -1, 2, 11, 26, 47......
- Program to find Nth term in the series 0, 0, 2, 1, 4, 2, 6, 3, 8,...