Find the length of a string without using any loops and string.h in C. Your program is supposed to behave in following way:
Enter a string: GeeksforGeeks (Say user enters GeeksforGeeks) Entered string is: GeeksforGeeks Length is: 13
You may assume that the length of entered string is always less than 100.
The following is solution.
Enter a string: GeeksforGeeks Entered string is: GeeksforGeeks Length is: 13
The idea is to use return values of printf() and gets().
gets() returns the enereed string.
printf() returns the number of characters successfully written on output.
In the above program, gets() returns the entered string. We print the length using the first printf. The second printf() calls gets() and prints the entered string using returned value of gets(), it also prints 20 extra characters for printing “Entered string is: ” and “\n”. That is why we subtract 20 from the returned value of second printf and get the length.
This article is contributed by Umesh Sharma. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Another way of finding the length of a string without using string.h or loops is Recursion.
The following program does the work of finding a length of a string using recursion.
The Function LengthofString calls itself until the character of string is’nt a null character it calls itself, when it calls itself it increases the value of the variable ‘n’ which stores number of times the function has been called and when it encounters the null character the function prints the value of ‘n’ and returns back in the same direction in which it was executed.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- C program to find the length of a string
- Print substring of a given string without using any string function and loop in C
- The length of a string using pointers
- Counts of distinct consecutive sub-string of length two using C++ STL
- C/C++ do while loop with Examples
- C/C++ For loop with Examples
- C/C++ while loop with Examples
- How will you print numbers from 1 to 100 without using loop? | Set-2
- Print 1 to 100 in C++, without loop and recursion
- How will you print numbers from 1 to 100 without using loop?
- Difference between while and do-while loop in C, C++, Java
- A nested loop puzzle
- How to concatenate two integer arrays without using loop in C ?
- How to print a number 100 times without using loop and recursion in C?
- What happens if loop till Maximum of Signed and Unsigned in C/C++?
- Difference between Sentinel and Counter Controlled Loop in C
- Why are elementwise additions much faster in separate loops than in a combined loop?
- Print a number 100 times without using loop, recursion and macro expansion in C?
- Write a C program to print "GfG" repeatedly without using loop, recursion and any control structure?
- Print all possible combinations of the string by replacing '$' with any other digit from the string
Improved By : Zeeking99