Given a string, find out if the string is K-Palindrome or not. A K-palindrome string transforms into a palindrome on removing at most k characters from it.
Input : String - abcdecba, k = 1 Output : Yes String can become palindrome by removing 1 character i.e. either d or e Input : String - abcdeca, K = 2 Output : Yes Can become palindrome by removing 2 characters b and e (or b and d). Input : String - acdcb, K = 1 Output : No String can not become palindrome by removing only one character.
The idea is to find the longest palindromic subsequence of the given string. If the difference between longest palindromic subsequence and the original string is less than equal to k, then the string is k-palindrome else it is not k-palindrome.
For example, longest palindromic subsequence of string abcdeca is acdca(or aceca). The characters which do not contribute to longest palindromic subsequence of the string should be removed in order to make the string palindrome. So on removing b and d (or e) from abcdeca, string will transform into a palindrome.
Longest palindromic subsequence of a string can easily be found using LCS. Following is the two step solution for finding longest palindromic subsequence that uses LCS.
- Reverse the given sequence and store the reverse in another array say rev[0..n-1]
- LCS of the given sequence and rev will be the longest palindromic sequence.
Below is the implementation of above idea –
Time complexity of above solution is O(n2).
Auxiliary space used by the program is O(n2). It can further be reduced to O(n) by using Space Optimized Solution of LCS.
Thanks to Ravi Teja Kaveti for suggesting above solution.
This article is contributed by Aditya Goel. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find if string is K-Palindrome or not | Set 1
- Longest sub string of 0's in a binary string which is repeated K times
- Find subarray with given sum | Set 1 (Nonnegative Numbers)
- Minimum number of deletions and insertions to transform one string into another
- Decode a string recursively encoded as count followed by substring
- Rearrange a string in sorted order followed by the integer sum
- Calculate maximum value using '+' or '*' sign between two numbers in a string
- Minimum operations to transform given string to another by moving characters to front or end
- Find all possible interpretations of an array of digits
- Find the maximum path sum between two leaves of a binary tree
- Find Minimum Depth of a Binary Tree
- Find all triplets with zero sum
- Given two unsorted arrays, find all pairs whose sum is x
- Find m-th smallest value in k sorted arrays
- Find if there is a rectangle in binary matrix with corners as 1
- Facebook Interview | Set 1
- Largest Rectangular Area in a Histogram | Set 2
- Largest Rectangular Area in a Histogram | Set 1
- Facebook Interview | Set 2 (On Campus for Internship)
- Inplace rotate square matrix by 90 degrees | Set 1