Given a sorted array of length n, find the number in array that appears more than or equal to n/2 times. It is given that such element always exists.
Input : 2 3 3 4 Output : 3 Input : 3 4 5 5 5 Output : 5 Input : 1 1 1 2 3 Output : 1
To find that number, we traverse the array and check the frequency of every element in array if it is greater than or equals to n/2 but it requires extra space and time complexity will be O(n).
But we can see that the if there is number that comes more than or equal to n/2 times in a sorted array, then that number must be present at the position n/2 i.e. a[n/2].
Time Complexity : O(1)
This article is contributed by Amit Kumar. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find element in array with frequency equal to sum of frequencies of other elements
- Maximum element in an array which is equal to its frequency
- First strictly greater element in a sorted array in Java
- Adding elements of an array until every element becomes greater than or equal to k
- Sum of elements in an array with frequencies greater than or equal to that element
- Find the number of elements greater than k in a sorted array
- Find the element having different frequency than other array elements
- Find just strictly greater element from first array for each element in second array
- Next Greater Frequency Element
- Find a number K such that Array contains at least K numbers greater than or equal to K
- Find frequency of each element in a limited range array in less than O(n) time
- Find the next greater element in a Circular Array
- Find closest greater value for every element in array
- Find Equal (or Middle) Point in a sorted array with duplicates
- Smallest subarray having an element with frequency greater than that of other elements
- Find the element that appears once in a sorted array
- Find first and last positions of an element in a sorted array
- Find the minimum element in a sorted and rotated array
- Find the Kth smallest element in the sorted generated array
- Find the only repeating element in a sorted array of size n