Given H (Hypotenuse) and A (area) of a right angled triangle, find the dimensions of right angled triangle such that the hypotenuse is of length H and its area is A. If no such triangle exists, print “Not Possible”.
Input : H = 10, A = 24 Output : P = 6.00, B = 8.00 Input : H = 13, A = 36 Output : Not Possible
Before moving to exact solution, let’s do some of mathematical calculations related to properties of Right angled triangle.
Suppose H = Hypotenuse, P = Perpendicular, B = Base and A = Area of right angled triangle.
We have some sort of equations as :
P^2 + B^2 = H^2 P * B = 2 * A (P+B)^2 = P^2 + B^2 + 2*P*B = H^2 + 4*A (P+B) = sqrt(H^2 + 4*A) ----1 (P-B)^2 = P^2 + B^2 - 2*P*B = H^2 - 4*A mod(P-B) = sqrt(H^2 - 4*A) ----2 from equation (2) we can conclude that if H^2 < 4*A then no solution is possible. Further from (1)+(2) and (1)-(2) we have : P = (sqrt(H^2 + 4*A) + sqrt(H^2 - 4*A) ) / 2 B = (sqrt(H^2 + 4*A) - sqrt(H^2 - 4*A) ) / 2
Below is the implementation of above approach:
P = 3.00 B = 4.00
- Find the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle with given two sides
- Find all sides of a right angled triangle from given hypotenuse and area | Set 1
- Find the height of a right-angled triangle whose area is X times its base
- Area of Circumcircle of a Right Angled Triangle
- Area of Incircle of a Right Angled Triangle
- Check whether right angled triangle is valid or not for large sides
- Number of possible pairs of Hypotenuse and Area to form right angled triangle
- Find Perimeter of a triangle
- Find all angles of a given triangle
- Find all angles of a triangle in 3D
- Program to Find the Incenter of a Triangle
- Program to find Circumcenter of a Triangle
- Program to find area of a triangle
- Find other two sides of a right angle triangle
- Program to find the Centroid of the triangle
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : vt_m