Given a binary search tree and a target node K. The task is to find the node with minimum absolute difference with given target value K.
// For above binary search tree Input : k = 4 Output : 4 Input : k = 18 Output : 17 Input : k = 12 Output : 9
A simple solution for this problem is to store Inorder traversal of given binary search tree in an auxiliary array and then by taking absolute difference of each element find the node having minimum absolute difference with given target value K in linear time.
An efficient solution for this problem is to take advantage of characteristics of BST. Here is the algorithm to solve this problem :
- If target value K is present in given BST, then it’s the node having minimum absolute difference.
- If target value K is less than the value of current node then move to the left child.
- If target value K is greater than the value of current node then move to the right child.
Time complexity : O(h) where h is height of given Binary Search Tree.
This article is contributed by Shashank Mishra ( Gullu ). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Find the closest element in Binary Search Tree | Space Efficient Method
- Find the closest leaf in a Binary Tree
- Sum and Product of minimum and maximum element of Binary Search Tree
- Find the node with maximum value in a Binary Search Tree
- Find the node with minimum value in a Binary Search Tree
- Find the node with maximum value in a Binary Search Tree using recursion
- Find the node with minimum value in a Binary Search Tree using recursion
- Find maximum count of duplicate nodes in a Binary Search Tree
- Minimum swap required to convert binary tree to binary search tree
- Complexity of different operations in Binary tree, Binary Search Tree and AVL tree
- Closest leaf to a given node in Binary Tree
- Find maximum and minimum element in binary tree without using recursion or stack or queue
- Binary Search Tree | Set 1 (Search and Insertion)
- Find closest value for every element in array
- Count the Number of Binary Search Trees present in a Binary Tree