Given two integers X (1 ≤ X ≤ 15) and Y. The task is to find an array of the maximum possible length N such that all the elements in the array lie in between 1 and 2X and there exists no subarray such that xor value of the subarray is either 0 or Y. If there exists multiple answers then print any one of them. If no such array exists then print -1
Input: X = 3, Y = 5
Output: 1 3 1
(1 ^ 3) = 2
(3 ^ 1) = 2
(1 ^ 3 ^ 1) = 3
Input: X = 1, Y = 1
Approach: The main idea is to build the prefix-xor of the required array and then build the array from it. Let the prefix-xor array be pre.
Now, XOR of any two pairs in the prefix array say (pre[l] ^ pre[r]) will represent the XOR of some sub-array of the original array i.e. arr[l + 1] ^ arr[l + 2] ^ … ^ arr[r].
Thus, the problem now reduces to construct an array from the elements of pre array such that no pair of elements have bitwise-xor equal to 0 or Y and its length should be maximal.
Notice that no pair of numbers has a bitwise-xor sum equal to 0 simply means can’t use the same number twice.
If Y ≥ 2X then no pair of numbers less than 2X will have a bitwise-xor equal to Y, so you can just use all the numbers from 1 to 2X – 1 in any order. Otherwise, you can think of the numbers forming pairs, where each pair consists of 2 numbers with a bitwise-xor sum equal to Y. From any pair, if you add one number to the array, you can’t add the other. However, the pairs are independent of each other: your choice in one pair doesn’t affect any other pair. Thus, you can just choose either number in any pair and add them in any order you want. After you construct array pre, you can construct the orginal array using: arr[i] = pre[i] ^ pre[i – 1].
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
1 3 1
- Find the maximum subarray XOR in a given array
- Find mean of subarray means in a given array
- Find a subarray whose sum is divisible by size of the array
- Find the longest Fibonacci-like subarray of the given array
- Find the Minimum length Unsorted Subarray, sorting which makes the complete array sorted
- Maximum subarray sum in array formed by repeating the given array k times
- Sort an array where a subarray of a sorted array is in reverse order
- Check whether an Array is Subarray of another Array
- Find the subarray with least average
- Sorting array except elements in a subarray
- Find subarray with given sum | Set 1 (Nonnegative Numbers)
- Find the length of largest subarray with 0 sum
- Find whether a subarray is in form of a mountain or not
- Check if subarray with given product exists in an array
- Minimum length subarray of 1s in a Binary Array
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.