Given an integer N which is a multiple of 4, the task is to find an N x N grid for which the bitwise xor of every row and column is same.
Input: N = 4
0 1 2 3
4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15
Input: N = 8
0 1 2 3 16 17 18 19
4 5 6 7 20 21 22 23
8 9 10 11 24 25 26 27
12 13 14 15 28 29 30 31
32 33 34 35 48 49 50 51
36 37 38 39 52 53 54 55
40 41 42 43 56 57 58 59
44 45 46 47 60 61 62 63
Approach: To solve this problem lets fix the xor of every row and column to 0 since xor of 4 consecutive numbers starting from 0 is 0. Here is an example of a 4 x 4 matrix:
0 ^ 1 ^ 2 ^ 3 = 0
4 ^ 5 ^ 6 ^ 7 = 0
8 ^ 9 ^ 10 ^ 11 = 0
12 ^ 13 ^ 14 ^ 15 = 0
and so on.
If you notice in the above example, the xor of every row and column is 0. Now we need to place the numbers in such a way that the xor of each row and column is 0.So we can divide our N x N matrix into smaller 4 x 4 matrices with N / 4 rows and columns and fill the cells in a way that the xor of every row and column is 0.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Time Complexity: O(N2)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Check if it is possible to create a matrix such that every row has A 1s and every column has B 1s
- Filling diagonal to make the sum of every row, column and diagonal equal of 3x3 matrix
- Check if a grid can become row-wise and column-wise sorted after adjacent swaps
- Find a Square Matrix such that sum of elements in every row and column is K
- Count number of islands where every island is row-wise and column-wise separated
- Construct a matrix such that union of ith row and ith column contains every element from 1 to 2N-1
- Construct a Binary Matrix whose sum of each row and column is a Prime Number
- Replace every matrix element with maximum of GCD of row or column
- Count positions in Binary Matrix having equal count of set bits in corresponding row and column
- Check if a number from every row can be selected such that xor of the numbers is greater than zero
- Find sum of all elements in a matrix except the elements in row and/or column of given cell?
- Given a Boolean Matrix, find k such that all elements in k'th row are 0 and k'th column are 1.
- Find the element at R'th row and C'th column in given a 2D pattern
- Find trace of matrix formed by adding Row-major and Column-major order of same matrix
- Program to find the Sum of each Row and each Column of a Matrix
- Find the original matrix when largest element in a row and a column are given
- Find if a binary matrix exists with given row and column sums
- Find all matrix elements which are minimum in their row and maximum in their column
- Place N^2 numbers in matrix such that every row has an equal sum
- Search in a Row-wise and Column-wise Sorted 2D Array using Divide and Conquer algorithm
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.