Given a sorted array of distinct positive integers, print all triplets that forms Geometric Progression with integral common ratio.
A geometric progression is a sequence of numbers where each term after the first is found by multiplying the previous one by a fixed, non-zero number called the common ratio. For example, the sequence 2, 6, 18, 54,… is a geometric progression with common ratio 3.
Input: arr = [1, 2, 6, 10, 18, 54] Output: 2 6 18 6 18 54 Input: arr = [2, 8, 10, 15, 16, 30, 32, 64] Output: 2 8 32 8 16 32 16 32 64 Input: arr = [ 1, 2, 6, 18, 36, 54] Output: 2 6 18 1 6 36 6 18 54
The idea is to start from the second element and fix every element as middle element and search for the other two elements in a triplet (one smaller and one greater). For an element arr[j] to be middle of geometric progression, there must exist elements arr[i] and arr[k] such that –
arr[j] / arr[i] = r and arr[k] / arr[j] = r where r is an positive integer and 0 <= i < j and j < k <= n - 1
Below is the implementation of above idea –
1 2 4 1 4 16
Time complexity of above solution is O(n2) as for every j, we are finding i and k in linear time.
This article is contributed by Aditya Goel. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Given an array A and a number x, check for pair in A with sum as x
- Find the Number Occurring Odd Number of Times
- Find the Missing Number
- Search an element in a sorted and rotated array
- Merge an array of size n into another array of size m+n
- Median of two sorted arrays of same size
- k largest(or smallest) elements in an array | added Min Heap method
- Program for array rotation
- Write a program to reverse an array or string
- Reversal algorithm for array rotation
- Block swap algorithm for array rotation
- Leaders in an array
- Count Inversions in an array | Set 1 (Using Merge Sort)
- Find the smallest and second smallest elements in an array
- Maximum and minimum of an array using minimum number of comparisons