Final state of the string after modification
Given a string S of length n representing n boxes adjacent to each other.
- A character R at index i represents that i-th box is being pushed towards the right.
- On the other hand, L at index i represents that i-th box is being pushed towards the left.
- And a . represents an empty space.
We start with initial configuration, at every time unit, a box being pushed toward right pushes next box toward right and same is true for a box being pushed toward left. The task is to print the final positions of all boxes when no more movements are possible. If there is a substring “R.L”, then middle box is being pushed from both directions and therefore not moved any more.
Input: S = “RR.L”
The first and second boxes are being toward right. The middle dot is being pushed from both directions, so does not move.
Input: S = “R..R…L.”
At time unit 1 :
The first box pushes second box.
Third box pushes fourth box.
Second last box pushes third last box, configuration becomes
At time unit 2 :
Second box pushes third box, string becomes
Approach: We can calculate the net force applied on every box. The forces we care about are how close a box is to a leftward R or to a rightward L i.e. the more closer we are, the stronger will be the force.
- Scanning from left to right, force decays by 1 in every iteration, and resets to N if we meet an R again.
- Similarly, from right to left direction, we can find the forces from the right (closeness to L).
- For some box result[i], if the forces are equal then the result is . as both side apply same force to it. Otherwise, our result is implied by whichever force is stronger.
For string S = “R..R…L.”
The forces going from left to right are [7, 6, 5, 7, 6, 5, 4, 0, 0].
The forces going from right to left are [0, 0, 0, 0, -4, -5, -6, -7, 0].
Combining them (taking their arithmetic addition at each index) gives result = [7, 6, 5, 7, 2, 0, -2, -7, 0].
Thus, the final answer is RRRRR.LL.
Below is the implementation of above approach:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important mathematical concepts for competitive programming with the Essential Maths for CP Course at a student-friendly price. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.