The questions from this section are generally of two types :
- One / Two blanks – In these type of questions, we are given a sentence with blanks and we have to select a word from the given options that fits most appropriately.
- Blanks in a passage – In these type of questions, we are given a passage which usually has 5 – 10 blanks and for each blank, we have to select the most appropriate word from the given options such that the selected word maintains the continuity of the passage.
Question 1 : Drugs and Alcohol ____ together to ____ the risk of cancer in both men and women.
A) result, aggravate
B) act, increase
C) mix, lower
D) put, arrest
Solution : B) act, increase
Question 2 : In his first public speech, the newly elected defence minister said that leaks in defence matters could potentially ____ military operations.
Solution : C) jeopardize
Question 3 : Many times in history, humans have changed their mode of communication as society itself has __(1)__ . As people began to spread, verbal communication changed to written to make it more __(2)__ . Then with travel becoming easier, they started maintaining both forms of communication to keep them in __(3)__ with one another. With the invention of telephone, people started to worry that this would __(4)__ out all the other modes of communication. But today, people have spread out to much farther geographical locations, and the telephone, in its compact form, has allowed the mankind to __(5)__ the necessary links among family and friends.
(1) A) evolved
(2) D) subjective
(3) C) touch
(4) D) turn
(5) A) maintain
This article has been contributed by Nishant Arora
Please write comments if you have any doubts related to the topic discussed above, or if you are facing difficulty in any question or if you would like to discuss a question other than those mentioned above.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Passage/Sentence Re-arrangement | English
- Comprehension Passages | English
- English Reading Comprehension | Set 1
- English Reading Comprehension | Set 2
- English Reading Comprehension | Set 3
- English Reading Comprehension | Set 5
- English Reading Comprehension | Set 4
- Minimize splits to generate monotonous Substrings from given String
- Minimize Sum of an Array by at most K reductions
- Add and Remove Edge in Adjacency Matrix representation of a Graph
- Check if two nodes are on same path in a tree | Set 2
- Minimum count of numbers required with unit digit X that sums up to N
- Print the longest path from root to leaf in a Binary tree
- Largest number M less than N such that XOR of M and N is even
Improved By : hareeshwarc