File.SetLastWriteTime() Method in C# with Examples
File.SetLastWriteTime(String) is an inbuilt File class method which is used to set the date and time that the specified file was last written to.
public static void SetLastWriteTime (string path, DateTime lastWriteTime);
Parameter: This function accepts two parameters which are illustrated below:
- path: This is the specified file for which to set the date and time information.
- lastWriteTime: This is the specified local last write date and time of the path.
- ArgumentException: The path is a zero-length string, contains only white space, or one or more invalid characters as defined by InvalidPathChars.
- ArgumentNullException: The path is null.
- PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both exceed the system-defined maximum length.
- FileNotFoundException: The specified path was not found.
- UnauthorizedAccessException: The caller does not have the required permission.
- NotSupportedException: The path is in an invalid format.
- ArgumentOutOfRangeException: The lastWriteTime specifies a value outside the range of dates or times permitted for this operation.
Below are the programs to illustrate the File.SetLastWriteTime(String, DateTime) method.
Program 1: Before running the below code, a file file.txt is created with some contents shown below-
The last written date and time for this file was 5/4/2020 4:05:07 AM.
Program 2: Initially, no file was created. Below code, itself creates a file file.txt and prints the last written date and time.
The last written date and time for this file was 5/4/2019 4:05:07 AM.