The Fibonacci sequence is defined as = + where = 1 and = 1 are the seeds.
For a given prime number p, consider a new sequence which is (Fibonacci sequence) mod p. For example for p = 5, the new sequence would be 1, 1, 2, 3, 0, 3, 3, 1, 4, 0, 4, 4 …
The minimal zero of the new sequence is defined as the first Fibonacci number that is a multiple of p or mod p = 0.
Given prime no p, find the minimal zero of the sequence Fibonacci modulo p.
Input : 5 Output : 5 The fifth Fibonacci no (1 1 2 3 5) is divisible by 5 so 5 % 5 = 0. Input : 7 Output : 8 The 8th Fibonacci no (1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21) is divisible by 7 so 21 % 7 = 0.
A simple approach is to keep calculating Fibonacci numbers and for each of them calculate Fi mod p. However if we observe this new sequence, let denote the term of the sequence, then it follows : = ( + ) mod p. i.e. the remainder is actually the sum of remainders of previous two terms of this series. Therefore instead of generating the Fibonacci sequence and then taking modulo of each term we simply add previous two remainders and then take its modulo p.
Below is the implementation to find the minimal 0.
Minimal zero is: 8
This article is contributed by Aditi Sharma. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Fibonacci Number modulo M and Pisano Period
- Check if sum of Fibonacci elements in an Array is a Fibonacci number or not
- Check if a M-th fibonacci number divides N-th fibonacci number
- LCM of N numbers modulo M
- Modulo 10^9+7 (1000000007)
- Sum of two numbers modulo M
- Compute n! under modulo p
- Modulo Operator (%) in C/C++ with Examples
- Sort elements by modulo with K
- Maximum subarray sum modulo m
- Modulo of a large Binary String
- Equalizing array using increment under modulo 3
- Maximum modulo of all the pairs of array where arr[i] >= arr[j]
- Sum of the natural numbers (up to N) whose modulo with K yield R
- Find sum of modulo K of first N natural number
- Maximum frequency of a remainder modulo 2i
- Sort the given stack elements based on their modulo with K
- Find the value of P and modular inverse of Q modulo 998244353
- Divisibility by 3 where each digit is the sum of all prefix digits modulo 10
- Expressing a fraction as a natural number under modulo 'm'