fgetc() is used to obtain input from a file single character at a time. This function returns the number of characters read by the function. It returns the character present at position indicated by file pointer. After reading the character, the file pointer is advanced to next character. If pointer is at end of file or if an error occurs EOF file is returned by this function.
int fgetc(FILE *pointer) pointer: pointer to a FILE object that identifies the stream on which the operation is to be performed.
The entire content of file is printed character by character till end of file. It reads newline character as well.
fputc() is used to write a single character at a time to a given file. It writes the given character at the position denoted by the file pointer and then advances the file pointer.
This function returns the character that is written in case of successful write operation else in case of error EOF is returned.
int fputc(int char, FILE *pointer) char: character to be written. This is passed as its int promotion. pointer: pointer to a FILE object that identifies the stream where the character is to be written.
When fputc() is executed characters of string variable are written into the file one by one. When we read the line from the file we get the same string that we entered.
This article is contributed by Hardik Gaur. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- What is return type of getchar(), fgetc() and getc() ?
- AKTU (UPTU) Previous Year Solved Papers | C Programming
- OpenMP | Hello World program
- Check if given Preorder, Inorder and Postorder traversals are of same tree | Set 2
- getdate() and setdate() function in C with Examples
- OpenMP | Introduction with Installation Guide
- X-Macros in C
- What does main() return in C and C++?
- SDL library in C/C++ with examples
- Why to use fgets() over scanf() in C?
- Thread functions in C/C++
- How to Compile and Run C/C++/Java Programs in Linux
- How to get the current position of cursor from output screen in C?
- Methods to concatenate string in C/C++ with Examples