In Java 9 there are some features are added in Java language and factory method for immutable map is one of them.
Characteristics of immutable map:
- As the name suggest these map are immutable.
- If any attempt made to add, delete and update elements in the map we will have UnsupportedOperationException.
- Immutable map do not allow null element either.
- If any attempt made to create a immutable map with null element, we will have NullPointerException. If any attempt made to add null element in map, we will have UnsupportedOperationException.
Creating immutable map in Java 8
To create immutable map in java 8, we use java.util.unmodifiableMap(Map map) method. unmodifiableMap(Map map): This method returns an unmodifiable view of the specified map. This method allows modules to provide users with “read-only” access to internal maps.
Syntax: public static Map unmodifiableMap(Map map) Returns: an unmodifiable view of the specified map. Exception: NA
Java code for immutable empty and no-empty map:
Above code will generate exception, because we are trying to add key-value pair in immutable Map.
Runtime Error : Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException at java.util.Collections$UnmodifiableMap.put(Collections.java:1457) at ImmutableListDemo.main(File.java:17)
Creating immutable Map in java 9
To create immutable map in java 9, we use of() and ofEntries() method.
Java code to create immutable map in java 9:
After running above code, we will have UnsupportedOperationException.
Java code to create immutable map using Map.ofEntries() method in Java 9:
So of() and ofEntries() are method used to create immutable map in java 9.
This article is contributed by Abhishek Verma. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Factory method to create Immutable Set in Java 9
- Factory method to create Immutable List in Java SE 9
- How to create Immutable class in Java?
- Immutable Set in Java
- Immutable Map in Java
- Immutable List in Java
- Java: String is Immutable. What exactly is the meaning?
- Primitive Wrapper Classes are Immutable in Java
- Different ways to create objects in Java
- Java | How to create your own Helper Class?
- How to create a Class in JShell of Java 9
- 10 Ways to Create a Stream in Java
- How to create a TreeMap in reverse order in Java
- How to create a REST API using Java Spring Boot
- JSwing | Create a Magnifying tool using Java Robot
- ProcessBuilder in Java to create a basic online Judge
- Java Swing | Create a simple text editor
- JSwing | Create Translucent and Shaped Windows in Java
- How to create a Java HashMap of user defined class type?
- Performing Database Operations in Java | SQL CREATE, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE and SELECT