Extracting MAC address using Python
MAC address also known as physical address is the unique identifier that is assigned to the NIC (Network Interface Card) of the computer. NIC helps in connection of a computer with other computers in the network. MAC address is unique for all the NIC’s.
Uses of MAC address :
- Useful in places where IP address change frequently. Helps network admin. to get information regarding network traffic.
- Helps us to configure which computers can be connected to our computers. By this way we can filter potential spam/virus attacks.
- Helps in uniquely identifying computers from other computers around the world.
This article aims at extracting MAC address of computer using Python.
Method 1 : using mac module
To get the physical address of the device we use getmac module of Python.
>>>from getmac import get_mac_address as gma >>>print(gma()) '3c:7e:94:8f:d0:34'
Method 2 : Using uuid.getnode()
getnode() can be used to extract the MAC address of the computer. This function is defined in uuid module.
The illustrated code given below shows how to generate a UUID for a given host, identified by its MAC address, using the uuid1() function.
- The visible drawback is that the output is not in the formatted form.
Method 3 : Using getnode() + format() [ for better formatting ]
The MAC address in formatted way is : 00:16:3e:99:0b:db
- This code appears to be complex.
Method 4 : Using getnode() + findall() + re() [ for reducing complexity ]
The MAC address in formatted and less complex way is : 00:16:3e:99:0b:db
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level Course