Extract IP address from file using Python
Let us see how to extract IP addresses from a file using Python.
- Import the re module for regular expression.
- Open the file using the open() function.
- Read all the lines in the file and store them in a list.
- Declare the patter for IP addresses. The regex pattern is :
- For every element of the list search for the patter using the search() function, store the IP addresses in a list.
- Display the list containing the IP addresses.
The file to be processed is test.txt :
The above Python program displays any kind of IP addresses present in the file. We can also display the valid IP addresses.
Rules for a valid IP Address :
- The numbers should be in a range of 0-255
- It should consist of 4 cells separated by ‘.’
The regular expression for valid IP addresses is :
Explanation of Regular Expression used for valid IP:
Since we cannot use 0-255 range in regular expression we divide the same in 3 groups:
- 25[0-5] – represents numbers from 250 to 255
- 2[0-4][0-9] – represents numbers from 200 to 249
- ?[0-9][0-9]?- represents numbers from 0 to 199
The file to be processed is test2.txt :
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level Course