Express.js res.redirect() Function
The res.redirect() function redirects to the URL derived from the specified path, with specified status, a integer (positive) which corresponds to an HTTP status code. The default status is “302 Found”.
res.redirect([status, ] path)
Parameter: This function accepts two parameters as mentioned above and described below:
- status: This parameter holds the HTTP status code
- path: This parameter describes the path.
Return Value: It returns an Object.
Type of path’s we can enter
- We can enter the whole global URL
- Path can be relative to root of the host name
e.g : /user with relative to http://hostname/user/cart will redirect to http://hostname/user
- Path can be to relative to current URL
e.g : /addtocart with relative to http://hostname/user/ will redirect to http://hostname/user/addtocart
Installation of express module:
- You can visit the link to Install express module. You can install this package by using this command.
npm install express
- After installing the express module, you can check your express version in command prompt using the command.
npm version express
- After that, you can just create a folder and add a file for example, index.js. To run this file you need to run the following command.
Example 1: Filename: index.js
Steps to run the program:
- The project structure will look like this:
- Make sure you have installed express module using the following command:
npm install express
- Run index.js file using below command:
Server listening on PORT 3000
- Now open browser and go to http://localhost:3000/, now on your screen you will see the following output:
Redirected to User Page
Example 2: Filename: index.js
Run index.js file using below command:
Now open the browser and go to http://localhost:3000/verify, now check your console and you will see the following output:
Server listening on PORT 3000 Authenticate and Redirect
And you will see the following output on your browser: