Explain difference between Bootstrap and Foundation frameworks in CSS
In this article, we will know about the Foundation & Bootstrap frameworks in CSS, and will also understand their implementation through the example along with discussing the major differences between them.
Foundation 6: A Foundation is an open-source & responsive front-end framework built by ZURB in September 2011, that makes it easy to design beautiful responsive websites, apps, and emails that look amazing & can be accessible to any device. It is used by many companies such as Facebook, eBay, Mozilla, Adobe, and even Disney. The framework is built on Saas-like bootstrap. It is more sophisticated, flexible, and easily customizable. It also comes with CLI, so it’s easy to use it with module bundlers. It offers the Fastclick.js tool for faster rendering on mobile devices.
A Foundation has a slightly more advanced interface compared to other framings. The responsive menu is one of its important properties. The menu is inconceivable when it comes to functionality and can also be freely baptized using CSS. This responsive architecture allows contrivers to beget elegant websites with added of a design-it-yourself approach.
<section class="callout large primary"> <h1>Hello Geeks</h1> </section>
- Includes XY grids: The default grid system in Foundation allows the developer to control the layouts based on both horizontal and vertical positions.
- Easier prototyping: It facilitates built-in functionality that helps to speed up the prototyping process.
- The Foundation’s grid uses box-sizing: border-box property to apply gutters to columns, but this property & along with the ES5 features is not supported by the Internet Explorer v8.
- The browsers will not support media queries properties for displaying the mobile styles of the site.
Example: This example illustrates the use of the CSS Foundation’s classes for making the blogging webpage.
Customization menu of Foundation: There are several ways to customize the menu using Foundation such as the Basic menu, alignment menu, vertical menu, simple menu, nested menu, etc, for proving the flexibility along with making it an all-purpose navigation component.
Example: This example illustrates the CSS Foundation to make use of the customize column for the menu.
- Semantic: Everything is semantic. We can make the markup as neat & clean without sacrificing the utility and speed of the Foundation.
- Mobile-First Design: The Foundation facilitates the building of applications for all-purpose devices. As the device size increase, the layers will be more complex for a completely responsive design.
- Customizable: The Foundation provides the customizable option for building the apps that may contain including or removing certain elements, defining the size of columns, colors, font size, and more.
- Not recommended framework for beginners at the initial level.
- Less popular than Bootstrap.
<section class="bts"> <h1 class="bg-success">Hello Geeks</h1> </section>
Example: This example illustrates the simple use of the Bootstrap framework for making the pill navigation menu.
- Preprocessors: Bootstrap has vanilla CSS, although utilize the 2 popular CSS preprocessors, LESS & SASS in its source code.
- Every device, One framework: Bootstrap facilitates easy & efficient way to scales the websites or apps with a single code base, with CSS media queries.
- Full of features: Bootstrap facilitates the extensive & complete documentation for the HTML elements, that are commonly used, along with lots of custom HTML and CSS components, and the jQuery plugins, & many more.
- Similar look pattern for every website.
- Bit heavier to load the website.
Difference between Bootstrap 5 and Foundation 6:
Bootstrap supports the SASS properties but it is actually built using LESS, which implies the Bootstrap uses both LESS & SASS.
Foundation contains its specific CLI i.e. it only implements the SASS property.
Despite of having 12-column grid system, which is the featured of both the frameworks, Bootstrap contains the fixed-width grid layout.
Foundation contain a fluid layout. In other words, it contains a more flexible grid system.
The integration of the Bootstrap class names to various HTML elements such as form elements, images, etc., is must that will ensures the responsiveness and to display base CSS styles.
Base CSS of Foundation framework is “out of the box.”
Foundation framework hold 16 JS plugins
Bootstrap has a reboot.css.
Foundation has normalize.css
It permits inline forms.
It doesn’t permit inline forms.
Please Login to comment...