When working with arrays, it’s widespread to iterate through its elements and manipulate them. Traditionally this can be done using for, while or do-while loops. The forEach will call the function for each element in the array.
array.forEach( callback, thisObject )
Parameter: This method accept only two parameter mentioned above and described below:
- callback: This allow the function to test the each and every element in the array.
- thisObject: This will be called when the calllback function is executed.
Return: It returns the newly created array.
Without forEach() Loop: The first line declares and initialize a number array called array_1 with values [2, 3, 4, 5, 6]. To double every element of this array a for loop is used which runs from zero (because the index of an array starts from zero) to one less than the length of the array. Now on the third line, each element is extracted from the array and is multiplied by 2, hence doubling the values.
4, 6, 8, 10, 12
With forEach() Loop: In ES6 a more easy to understand and use method is introduced for Arrays which is forEach(). Let’s see how it works for the same above situation.
4, 6, 8, 10, 12
Same as previous, the first line declares and initialize a numbers array called array_1 with values [2, 3, 4, 5, 6]. Then on array_1 forEach method is called which iterates over the array and takes a callback function as an argument. Now the callback function accepts three arguments,
- currentValue – Which is a required argument, this corresponds to the value of the current element.
- index – It is an optional argument, this is the corresponding index value of the current element.
- array – It is also an optional argument, this is the original array, here array_1.
So, we make use of the second argument that is index and follow the exact same algorithm as before to double the value.
Program 3: Here we just use the currentValue argument using which we printout each of the values from names array to the console.
Arpan Abhishek GeeksforGeeks
- foreach() loop vs Stream foreach() vs Parallel Stream foreach()
- TypeScript | Array forEach() Method
- ES6 | Array filter() Method
- Iterate associative array using foreach loop in PHP
- How to remove an array element in a foreach loop?
- HashMap forEach(BiConsumer) method in Java with Examples
- HTML DOM NodeList.forEach() Method
- Lodash _.forEach() Method
- Array Helper Methods in ES6
- How to clone array in ES6 ?
- ES6 | Array
- Determine the first and last iteration in a foreach loop in PHP?
- C# | Using foreach loop in arrays
- Performance of for vs foreach in PHP
- AngularJS | angular.forEach() Function
- Node | URLSearchParams.forEach()
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.