We are given focus(x, y) and directrix(ax + by + c) of a parabola and we have to find the equation of parabola using its focus and directrix.
Input: x1 = 0, y1 = 0, a = 2, b = 1, c = 2
Output: equation of parabola is 16.0 x^2 + 9.0 y^2 + -12.0 x + 16.0 y + 24.0 xy + -4.0 = 0.
Input: x1 = -1, y1 = -2, a = 1, b = -2, c = 3
Output:equation of parabola is 4.0 x^2 + 1.0 y^2 + 4.0 x + 32.0 y + 4.0 xy + 16.0 = 0.
Let P(x, y) be any point on the parabola whose focus S(x1, y1) and the directrix is the straight line ax + by + c =0.
Draw PM perpendicular from P on the directrix. then by definition pf parabola distance SP = PM
SP^2 = PM^2
(x - x1)^2 + (y - y1)^2 = ( ( a*x + b*y + c ) / (sqrt( a*a + b*b )) ) ^ 2
// let ( a*a + b*b ) = t
x^2 + x1^2 - 2*x1*x + y^2 + y1^2 - 2*y1*y = ( ( a*x + b*y + c ) ^ 2 )/ t
on cross multiplying above we get
t*x^2 + t*x1^2 - 2*t*x1*x + t*y^2 + t*y1^2 - 2*t*y1*y = ( ( a*x + b*y + c ) ^ 2 ) t*x^2 + t*x1^2 - 2*t*x1*x + t*y^2 + t*y1^2 - 2*t*y1*y = a^2*x^2 + b^2*y^2 + 2*a*x*b*y + c^2 + 2*c*(a*x + b*y) t*x^2 + t*x1^2 - 2*t*x1*x + t*y^2 + t*y1^2 - 2*t*y1*y = a^2*x^2 + b^2*y^2 + 2*a*x*b*y + c^2 + 2*c*a*x + 2*c*b*y t*x^2 - a^2*x^2 + t*y^2 - b^2*y^2 - 2*t*x1*x - 2*c*a*x - 2*t*y1*y - 2*c*b*y - 2*a*x*b*y - c^2 + t*x1^2 + t*y1^2 =0.
This can be compared with general form that is
a*x^2 + 2*h*x*y + b*y^2 + 2*g*x + 2*f*y + c = 0.
Below is the implementation of the above :
equation of parabola is 16.0 x^2 + 9.0 y^2 + -12.0 x + 16.0 y + 24.0 xy + -4.0 = 0.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Finding the vertex, focus and directrix of a parabola
- Equation of ellipse from its focus, directrix, and eccentricity
- Check if a point is inside, outside or on the parabola
- Equation of circle from centre and radius
- Find the equation of plane which passes through two points and parallel to a given axis
- Sum of minimum value of x and y satisfying the equation ax + by = c
- Euler Method for solving differential equation
- Given equation of a circle as string, find area
- Number of ordered points pair satisfying line equation
- Program to find equation of a plane passing through 3 points
- Program to find number of solutions in Quadratic Equation
- Predictor-Corrector or Modified-Euler method for solving Differential equation
- Equation of circle when three points on the circle are given
- Count of Fibonacci pairs which satisfy the given equation
- Form the Cubic equation from the given roots
- Find the integral roots of a given Cubic equation
- Univariate, Bivariate and Multivariate data and its analysis
- LS3/NS3 sphere generation algorithm and its implementation
- Geographical information system (GIS) and its Components
- Program to calculate area of inner circle which passes through center of outer circle and touches its circumference
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.